Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curl free magnetic field

1. Jun 5, 2013 #1

ShayanJ

Gold Member

In the wikipedia page for guiding center,the following lines are written about curvature drift of charged particles.
    My problem is the part that tells curl of B is zero in a vacuum.
    Although I know Maxwell equations permit such a situation(with [itex]\vec{B}=\vec{B}(\mbox{only space variables}) \ and \ \vec{E}=0 [/itex]),I don't understand how that can happen.
    Obviously a current has caused the existence of the magnetic field and so there should be a changing electric field.But there is no electric field and that seems strange to me.
    I'll appreciate any ideas.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2013 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maxwell's equation relates curl of B to density and to the time derivative of E. If you are in a region that as no currents (i.e., away from wires) and the fields are static (no time variation), then curl B = 0.

4. Jun 5, 2013 #3

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Well,I know that.
    The problem is, how can the electric field be static when there is a current?(I know that we're assuming no current at the point we're calculating the curl of B at.But a current elsewhere produces a changing electric field everywhere.)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  5. Jun 5, 2013 #4

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The current can be static--a DC current from a battery, for instance. Or there may be no current at all, as when the magnetic field in your source-free region arises from a permanent magnet. Either way, J=0 in the vacuum and [itex]\frac{\partial \mathbf E}{\partial t}=0[/itex].

6. Jun 5, 2013 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Somewhere should be sources of the magnetic field. In the static case you have
    [tex]\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{H}=\vec{j}+\frac{1}{c} \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{M},[/tex]
    where [itex]\vec{M}[/itex] is the magnetization of your permanent magnet. Of course, everywhere else, the curl vanishes, and there you can have locally a potential. Other than the elecric field a magnetic field can never be globally a gradient field!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook