Why is the curl of the magnetic field zero in a vacuum?

In summary, curvature drift of charged particles is due to the curvature of the space-time around them. The expression for the grad-B drift above can be rewritten for the case when \nabla B is due to the curvature. This is most easily done by realizing that in a vacuum, Ampere's Law is \nabla\times\vec{B} = 0 . In cylindrical coordinates chosen such that the azimuthal direction is parallel to the magnetic field and the radial direction is parallel to the gradient of the field, this becomes\nabla\times\vec{B} = \frac{1}{r} \frac{\partial}{\partial r
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
In the wikipedia page for guiding center,the following lines are written about curvature drift of charged particles.
The expression for the grad-B drift above can be rewritten for the case when [itex]\nabla B [/itex] is due to the curvature. This is most easily done by realizing that in a vacuum, Ampere's Law is [itex]\nabla\times\vec{B} = 0 [/itex]. In cylindrical coordinates chosen such that the azimuthal direction is parallel to the magnetic field and the radial direction is parallel to the gradient of the field, this becomes
[itex]
\nabla\times\vec{B} = \frac{1}{r} \frac{\partial}{\partial r} \left( r B_\theta \right) \hat{z} = 0
[/itex]
Since[itex] r B_\theta [/itex]is a constant, this implies that
[itex]
\nabla B = - B \frac{\vec{R}_c}{R_c^2}
[/itex]
and the grad-B drift velocity can be written
[itex]
\vec{v}_{\nabla B} = -\frac{\epsilon_\perp}{q} \frac{\vec{B}\times \vec{R}_c}{R_c^2 B^2}
[/itex]

My problem is the part that tells curl of B is zero in a vacuum.
Although I know Maxwell equations permit such a situation(with [itex]\vec{B}=\vec{B}(\mbox{only space variables}) \ and \ \vec{E}=0 [/itex]),I don't understand how that can happen.
Obviously a current has caused the existence of the magnetic field and so there should be a changing electric field.But there is no electric field and that seems strange to me.
I'll appreciate any ideas.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Maxwell's equation relates curl of B to density and to the time derivative of E. If you are in a region that as no currents (i.e., away from wires) and the fields are static (no time variation), then curl B = 0.

Well,I know that.
The problem is, how can the electric field be static when there is a current?(I know that we're assuming no current at the point we're calculating the curl of B at.But a current elsewhere produces a changing electric field everywhere.)

Last edited:
The current can be static--a DC current from a battery, for instance. Or there may be no current at all, as when the magnetic field in your source-free region arises from a permanent magnet. Either way, J=0 in the vacuum and [itex]\frac{\partial \mathbf E}{\partial t}=0[/itex].

Somewhere should be sources of the magnetic field. In the static case you have
[tex]\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{H}=\vec{j}+\frac{1}{c} \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{M},[/tex]
where [itex]\vec{M}[/itex] is the magnetization of your permanent magnet. Of course, everywhere else, the curl vanishes, and there you can have locally a potential. Other than the elecric field a magnetic field can never be globally a gradient field!

1. What is a curl-free magnetic field?

A curl-free magnetic field, also known as an irrotational magnetic field, is a type of magnetic field where the magnetic field lines do not form closed loops and have zero curl. This means that the magnetic field is not changing or rotating in any direction, and the magnetic field strength is the same at every point.

2. How is a curl-free magnetic field created?

A curl-free magnetic field is typically created by a permanent magnet, where the magnetic field lines originate from one pole and end at the other pole. It can also be created by an electric current flowing through a wire, where the magnetic field lines form concentric circles around the wire.

3. What are the properties of a curl-free magnetic field?

A curl-free magnetic field has the following properties:

• The magnetic field lines do not form closed loops and have zero curl.
  • The magnetic field strength is the same at every point in the field.
  • The magnetic field lines are always perpendicular to the direction of the magnetic force.
  • The work done by the magnetic force on a moving charged particle is zero.

4. What are some real-life applications of curl-free magnetic fields?

Curl-free magnetic fields have various applications in everyday life, including:

• Electric motors and generators, where the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire interacts with a permanent magnet to produce motion or electricity.
  • Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, where a strong curl-free magnetic field is used to produce detailed images of the body's internal structures.
  • Audio speakers and headphones, where the interaction between a permanent magnet and an electric current in a wire produces sound waves.

5. How does a curl-free magnetic field differ from a solenoidal magnetic field?

A curl-free magnetic field is different from a solenoidal magnetic field in that a solenoidal field has non-zero curl, meaning its magnetic field lines form closed loops and the field strength can vary at different points. This type of field is often seen in electromagnets, where the magnetic field is created by a current flowing through a coil of wire.