Curl of a Div of a Green's Function

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
pqnelson
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Okey Dokey, so I'm bored and decided to play around with some math. I've got a problem that I can't figure out now; I have the green's function for the laplacian

[tex]G(\vec{x}, \vec{x'}) = - \frac{1}{4\pi |\vec{x} - \vec{x'}|}[/tex]

There are no boundary conditions.

Is there any lazy way to figure out the div of the curl of the green's function, or do I have to do some work on this one?

[EDIT]: The lack of coffee is getting to me, it's the curl of a gradient of the green's function.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The OP editted it to curl(grad f) but it easy to show that that is 0 also!

[tex]\left|\begin{array}{ccc} \vec{i} & \vec{j} & \vec{k} \\ \frac{\partial}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial}{\partial y} & \frac{\partial}{\partial z} \\ f_x & f_y & f_z \end{array} \right|= \vec{0}[/tex]

It doesn't matter whether the function is Green's function or not.