Solving Potential of a Charge Outside a Sphere with Green Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the image method and Green functions to deduce the solution of the potential of a charge outside a sphere. The speaker proposes a solution for the boundary condition using the Green solution, but realizes it is incorrect and should be solved using the image-charge method or multipole expansion.
Mounice
I was wondering if there is a way to deduce the solution of the potential of a charge outside a sphere given by the image method, though Green functions. Because of a Dirichlet condition (GD(R,r')=0), I know that a solution can be written as GD=Go+L, where ∇2L=0. But in order to approach this problem I proposed the Green solution Go, as the one associated to the poisson solution. So, by applying the Dirichlet condition I can get the boundary condition for the problem in L(r,r').
That's how I get
$$G_D(\vec{R},\vec{r})=\dfrac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_o}\left [\dfrac{1}{|\vec{R}-\vec{r'}|}+L(\vec{R},\vec{r})\right]=0$$
So,
$$L(\vec{R},\vec{r})=-\dfrac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_o}\dfrac{1}{|\vec{R}-\vec{r'}|}$$
But, because that expression is constant with respect to the variable r, I denoted it as Vo.
So I know that the solution for ∇2L=0 for the outside of a sphere with constant voltage Vo, is given by
$$L(\vec{r},\vec{r'})=\dfrac{V_oR}{r}=-\dfrac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_o}\dfrac{R}{r|\vec{R}-\vec{r'}|}$$
Such that,
$$G_D(\vec{r},\vec{r})=\dfrac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_o}\left [\dfrac{1}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r'}|}-\dfrac{R}{r|\vec{R}-\vec{r'}|}\right]$$
and it satisfies the boundary condition,
$$G_D(\vec{R},\vec{r})=\dfrac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_o}\left [\dfrac{1}{|\vec{R}-\vec{r'}|}-\dfrac{R}{R|\vec{R}-\vec{r'}|}\right]=0$$
But I know that this solution is incorrect because the typical solution to this problem is a image charge, such that
$$G_D(\vec{r},\vec{r})=\dfrac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_o}\left [\dfrac{1}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r'}|}-\dfrac{R}{r'|\vec{r}-\dfrac{R^2}{r'^2}\vec{r'}|}\right]$$
Can someone tell me what's the error in the solution that I am proposing or how am I supposed to arrive to the correct solution by Green functions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot understand your arguments, but usually you derive the Green's function of the Laplace operator for the Dirichlet problem of the sphere using the image-charge method, because it's the easiest way to do so. Another way is to use the multipole expansion, which finally of course leads to the same result.

1. What is the potential of a charge outside a sphere?

The potential of a charge outside a sphere is the measure of the work required to bring a unit positive charge from infinity to a point outside the sphere. It is affected by the size and distribution of charges on the sphere, as well as the distance from the sphere.

2. How is the potential of a charge outside a sphere calculated?

The potential of a charge outside a sphere can be calculated using Green's function, which is a mathematical tool that relates the potential at a point to the charge distribution at that point. It takes into account the boundary conditions and the geometry of the system.

3. What is the significance of using Green's function to solve for the potential of a charge outside a sphere?

Green's function allows for a more efficient and accurate calculation of the potential of a charge outside a sphere. It takes into account the effects of the surrounding charges and provides a solution that satisfies the boundary conditions, making it a powerful tool in solving electrostatic problems.

4. Can the potential of a charge outside a sphere be negative?

Yes, the potential of a charge outside a sphere can be negative. This occurs when the charge on the sphere is negative and the external charge is positive, resulting in an attractive force between the two charges.

5. Is the potential of a charge outside a sphere affected by the distance from the sphere?

Yes, the potential of a charge outside a sphere is affected by the distance from the sphere. As the distance increases, the potential decreases, following an inverse square law. This is because the strength of the electric field decreases with distance, resulting in a decrease in potential.