1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current and Impedance in a Transformer

1. Apr 3, 2013 #1
    My textbook doesn't cover transformers in very much detail at all, so I only have a very vague idea as to how they work...

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The secondary voltage of an ignition transformer in a furnace is 13.9 kV. When the primary operates at an rms voltage of 120 V, the primary impedance is 22.6 Ω and the transformer is 91.1% efficient.
    a) What turns ratio is required?
    b) What is the current in the secondary?
    c) What is the impedance in the secondary?

2. Relevant equations

V2/V1 = N2/N1 (where N2/N1 is the turns ratio)
    V1 * I1 = V2 * I2
    V1/I1 = R/(N2/N1)^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I already solved a) correctly, which was just 13.9 kV/120 V (i.e. N2/N1). But besides that, I honestly don't know what else to do. I guess I could start by plugging in 22.6 ohms into the equation for impedance [i.e. I(rms) = V(rms)/Z], but I'm getting completely mixed up. I'm also not sure how efficiency affects the final result...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2013 #2
    Efficiency refers to the ratio of V*I power of secondary and primary circuits. So, if you find Iprimary you can find Isecondary and hence the impedance of the secondary circuit.

4. Apr 3, 2013 #3
    Thanks! It doesn't say whether or not the secondary voltage (13.9 kV) is an rms voltage... should I assume that it is?

5. Apr 3, 2013 #4
    Yes I think it should be assumed so.

6. Apr 3, 2013 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's a reasonable assumption, since it says that the primary voltage is rms .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted