Transformer Load Regulation Old Exam Question Help

In summary, the transformer has a resistance of 3 ohms, and an impedance of 10 ohms. The transformer is rated at 400kVA, and a load of 0.4 + 0.4j ohms is placed across the 415V secondary. The load regulation is 1.4%.
Omar7177
•• moved from technical forum to homework, so template is missing ••
Hi, I was wondering if anybody would be willing to point me in the right direction for solving the following question.

The questions is as follows:
A 10000V RMS (primary) to 415V RMS (secondary) transformer rated 400kVA has the following resistance and reactance:
Rs = 3 ohms
Xs = 10 ohms

A load of (0.4 + 0.4j) ohms is applied across the 415V secondary, what is the load regulation?

Edit: parameters changed, since I don't want to lift the same exact question.

What I did first was determine the turns ratio N1/N2 by doing V1/V2.

Then I referred impedance at the secondary to the primary.

After that, I determined I2 by doing S/V2 although I'm not sure if I should work out power factor, but I assumed unity since I wasn't sure how to work it out.

The proceeded to determine I2(N2/N1) and used that value to calculate a very high voltage drop which seems wrong.

Any help is extremely appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a little snippet from https://www.quora.com/How-power-factor-of-load-effects-voltage-regulation
Looks like you need to find what the Power Factor is.
loadreg.jpg

Attachments

• loadreg.jpg
    loadreg.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 987
Omar7177 said:
Hi, I was wondering if anybody would be willing to point me in the right direction for solving the following question.

The questions is as follows:
A 10000V RMS (primary) to 415V RMS (secondary) transformer rated 400kVA has the following resistance and reactance:
Rs = 3 ohms
Xs = 10 ohms

A load of (0.4 + 0.4j) ohms is applied across the 415V secondary, what is the load regulation?

Edit: parameters changed, since I don't want to lift the same exact question.

What I did first was determine the turns ratio N1/N2 by doing V1/V2.

Then I referred impedance at the secondary to the primary.

After that, I determined I2 by doing S/V2 although I'm not sure if I should work out power factor, but I assumed unity since I wasn't sure how to work it out.

The proceeded to determine I2(N2/N1) and used that value to calculate a very high voltage drop which seems wrong.

Any help is extremely appreciated!
Hi Omar7177. :welcome:

First things first...is it made clear in the question that Rs and Xs are the values referred to the secondary?

NascentOxygen said:
Hi Omar7177. :welcome:

First things first...is it made clear in the question that Rs and Xs are the values referred to the secondary?
Hi! The question is not terribly clear, but I believe that's implied.
Anyway I think I have solved it, I'm getting the right answer, so that was rather short lived haha.

Likes dlgoff
In my opinion, a power factor is always positive. But X could be negative if it is capacitive. Fortunately, in your case the reactance is inductive that means positive.
Let's say the high voltage -10 kV- does not change with the load so what you have to do is to calculate the total impedance-viewed from primary terminals-and to divide the primary voltage by total impedance in order to get the current. Power factor will be the resistive part divided by total.
Do not forget to transfer the load impedance from secondary to primary side.

Likes Omar7177
Babadag said:
In my opinion, a power factor is always positive. But X could be negative if it is capacitive. Fortunately, in your case the reactance is inductive that means positive.
Let's say the high voltage -10 kV- does not change with the load so what you have to do is to calculate the total impedance-viewed from primary terminals-and to divide the primary voltage by total impedance in order to get the current. Power factor will be the resistive part divided by total.
Do not forget to transfer the load impedance from secondary to primary side.
Yep, that's pretty much the way I did it, and I've got the answer. Thanks!:biggrin:

What is transformer load regulation?

Transformer load regulation is the ability of a transformer to maintain a constant output voltage despite changes in the load. It is measured as a percentage of the difference between the no-load voltage and the full-load voltage.

Why is load regulation important in transformers?

Load regulation is important because it ensures that the output voltage of a transformer remains stable even when there are fluctuations in the load. This is crucial in applications where a consistent output voltage is necessary for proper functioning of the equipment.

What factors affect transformer load regulation?

The main factors that affect transformer load regulation are the transformer's design, the quality of its materials, and the operating conditions. The transformer's winding resistance, leakage inductance, and core losses also play a role in determining its load regulation.

How is transformer load regulation calculated?

Transformer load regulation is calculated by taking the difference between the no-load voltage and the full-load voltage, dividing it by the full-load voltage, and then multiplying by 100 to get a percentage. The formula for load regulation is: (Vno-load - Vfull-load) / Vfull-load * 100%.

How can transformer load regulation be improved?

Transformer load regulation can be improved by using high-quality materials, reducing the transformer's winding resistance and leakage inductance, and minimizing core losses. Proper design and careful selection of operating conditions can also help improve load regulation.