Current discharge re capacitors

In summary, a capacitor will discharge quickly when connected in one way or another, but it will also discharge at any degree of charge.
Robin Hooper
Hello everyone, I know this may be a very elementary question but I'm not an EE or have access to one other that this forum.

I've been reading up on capacitors and so far I'm not able to decipher if a cap will discharge only if the capacitor has reached its maximum capacity. I would think that it would discharge when the two leads are connected in one form or another regardless of its capacity. To connect the two leads can be is very dangerous, hence this post. I can only find that a cap will discharge very quickly and only discharge a percentage of the stored energy. What I'm trying to do is charge up a cap by inducing a coil with a spinning permanent magnet within the coil. This would then load the cap to its maximum voltage and then have it discharge only when it has reached its maximum capacity. A resistor and diode will also be located before the cap to prevent over loading and ensure direction of current flow. Note: Do correct me if I don't understand the safe/proper circuit involved.

Thanks again everyone that have responded to previous posts and this one as well.

Engineering news on Phys.org
After posting the previous question I was redirected to the forums capacitor page to find that DC current will only charge the capacitor to its maximum and effectivly close the circuit letting the DC current flow through. To clarify the magnet essembly is mounted inside the coil on a shaft that is so designed to be the commutator, turning the DC current on and off as the rotor turns.

Within the voltage rating of a capacitor, the voltage it charges to is dictated by the charging voltage and circuit, rather than by the capacitor.
So long as the circuit can supply enough charge, capacitors of different values (capacities) will be charged to the same voltage by the same circuit.

And yes a capacitor can be discharged again at any degreee of charge.
Also it may only be partially discharged.
Also the charging can stop and start as can the discharging. Capacitors perform like this in many working circuits.

hope this helps

1. What is current discharge re capacitors?

Current discharge re capacitors are a type of electronic component that is used to store and release electrical energy. They are commonly used in electronic devices such as computers, televisions, and mobile phones.

2. How do current discharge re capacitors work?

Current discharge re capacitors work by storing electrical energy in an electric field between two conductive plates. When a voltage is applied, the electric field is created, and the capacitor stores the energy. When the voltage is removed, the capacitor releases the stored energy.

3. What are the benefits of using current discharge re capacitors?

One of the main benefits of using current discharge re capacitors is their ability to store and release electrical energy quickly. This makes them useful for various applications, such as in power supplies, motor control, and audio amplifiers. They also have a long lifespan and can withstand high temperatures and frequent charging and discharging cycles.

4. What are the common types of current discharge re capacitors?

The most common types of current discharge re capacitors are electrolytic capacitors, ceramic capacitors, film capacitors, and tantalum capacitors. Each type has its own unique characteristics and is suitable for different applications.

5. How do I choose the right current discharge re capacitor for my project?

When choosing the right current discharge re capacitor, it is essential to consider factors such as capacitance, voltage rating, and temperature range. It is also essential to understand the specific requirements of your project and consult with a professional if necessary.