Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current mirrors, low current measurement

1. Aug 30, 2011 #1
    Does anyone know of a good text book that would go in depth on current mirror circuits? What about methods and information on measuring low currents? My sedra and smith book does not talk anything about these subjects in detail.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

For understanding low-current measurements, Keithly (who makes picoammeters) has good technical information in handbooks:

http://www.keithley.com/knowledgecenter

For books that cover current mirrors in detail (beyond basic circuits books), I used an Amazon search on electronic current mirror:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...rh=n:283155,k:electronic+current+mirror&ajr=0

A couple of those books look promising. Maybe you can find them in your local technical library to check them out.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Aug 30, 2011 #3
    Bogart 'Electronic Devices and Circuits'

has some SPICE implementations of current mirrors.

5. Aug 30, 2011 #4
    Like Berkman said, Keithley make very low current meters, they should have a lot of info. How low is low for you?

Other sources are the company that make fA op-amps. In my days, Burr Brown had a lot of app. notes also. If you get down to pA range, it can start to get tricky. Also check Analog Devices, Maxim and Linear Technology. I never seen text books talk about measurement, you have to go to app notes for that. I learned from Burr Brown in the 90s. But I don't know whether they are still around, might have been swallow up by AD or other companies.

Regarding to current mirrors, do you mean circuit use inside ICs that use a transistor to setup the bias for other transistors to scale the current. If so, I doubted there is a book specialized on this as it is quite simple, only deserve two to three pages of materials. Look at any IC book and you find info about this.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook