1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curvature of a rectangular hyperbola

1. Sep 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The hyperbola y = 1/x in the first quadrant can be given the parametric definition (x, y) = (t, 1/t), t>0.

Find the corresponding parametric form of its evolute, and sketch both curves in the region 0<x<10, 0<y<10

2. Relevant equations

Curvature formula:

|f''(x)|/((1+(f'(x))^2)^(3/2))

3. The attempt at a solution

I've worked through this in full, but there is a single term in my curvature that is throwing off my end result. My calculation of this curvature is as follows:

So

f'(x) = -1/(x^2)
    f''(x) = 2/(x^3)

And therefore

k = |2/(x^3)|/((1/(x^4) + 1)^(3/2))
    = 2/(|t^3| * (1 + 1/(t^4))^(3/2)) (as x is the same as the parameter t, (x, y) = (t, 1/t))

and p = 1/t = 1/2 * (1 + 1/(t^4))^(3/2) * |t^3|

But, the curvature which leads to the correct evolute for the curve (which is what I'm really looking for) is simply 1/2(1 + 1/(t^4))^(3/2), without the |t^3|. I've been working on this for an hour, and I still can't figure out why it disappears.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2009 #2
    Hi,StarWrecker,I am 100 percent sure "p = 1/t = 1/2 * (1 + 1/(t^4))^(3/2) * |t^3|"
    is correct.
    And I am also sure that p(t) leads to the correct evolute for the curve.
    Check your answer again and again,you will find out your errors on computation.

4. Sep 14, 2009 #3
    Yeah, I made a mistake in my later calculations for the evolute that I ironed out after trying my solution for the curvature again. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook