Curve and tangent of a surface intersected by a plane

In summary: So you have the equation of the curve, and you have a value for x = 1. Plug that in and you have the y and z coordinates of the point where the curve intersects the plane y = 1. You can use those coordinates to draw a 2d graph of the curve and the tangent line at that point.
Ral

Homework Statement

a.)[tex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]
Find the equation of the tangent plane at the point given by: x = 1, y = 1
Draw the 3d-graph of the surface and the tangent plane.
[tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{n}[/tex] = the normal vector to the tangent plane.

b.) If the surface is intersected with the plane y = 1, what curve do you get?
Find the intersection of the tangent line to the resulting curve when x = 1.
Draw a 2d graph of the curve and the tangent line.

c.) Is the tangent line obtained in part (b) orthogonal to [tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{n}[/tex]?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have part a done.

For the tangent plane, I have:
[tex]z= \frac{2}{\sqrt{2}}(x-1)+\frac{2}{\sqrt{2}}(y-1)+\sqrt{2}[/tex]

and [tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{n}=(\frac{2}{\sqrt{2}},\frac{2}{\sqrt{2}},-1)[/tex]

I'm not quite sure what to do for part b. I was also trying to use Maple to do the 3d graph, but that was also confusing me, if possible, can I also see what it's suppose to look like.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ral said:

Homework Statement

a.)[tex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]
Find the equation of the tangent plane at the point given by: x = 1, y = 1
Draw the 3d-graph of the surface and the tangent plane.
[tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{n}[/tex] = the normal vector to the tangent plane.

b.) If the surface is intersected with the plane y = 1, what curve do you get?
Find the intersection of the tangent line to the resulting curve when x = 1.
Draw a 2d graph of the curve and the tangent line.

c.) Is the tangent line obtained in part (b) orthogonal to [tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{n}[/tex]?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have part a done.

For the tangent plane, I have:
[tex]z= \frac{2}{\sqrt{2}}(x-1)+\frac{2}{\sqrt{2}}(y-1)+\sqrt{2}[/tex]

and [tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{n}=(\frac{2}{\sqrt{2}},\frac{2}{\sqrt{2}},-1)[/tex]

I'm not quite sure what to do for part b. I was also trying to use Maple to do the 3d graph, but that was also confusing me, if possible, can I also see what it's suppose to look like.
Is your surface [tex]z = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/tex]?
You didn't state that in your post. Part b asks you to find the curve where the plane y = 1 intersects your surface. Just substitute y = 1 in the equation of your surface. What do you get?

Yeah, [tex]z = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/tex] is the surface.

So the curve would then be [tex]\sqrt{x^2 + 1}[/tex]?

That isn't an equation; it's just an expression. What goes on the other side of the = sign?

Once you answer that, put it in a form you can recognize and identify it.

[tex]
z = \sqrt{x^2 + 1}
[/tex]

Then would that be the curve?

That would be the equation of the curve, which is what the problem is really asking for.

1. What is a curve and tangent of a surface intersected by a plane?

A curve and tangent of a surface intersected by a plane refers to the point at which a plane intersects a curved surface, creating a curve and its corresponding tangent line. The curve is the path traced by the intersection of the plane and surface, while the tangent line is the line that touches the surface at a single point and is perpendicular to the curve at that point.

2. How is the curve and tangent of a surface intersected by a plane calculated?

The curve and tangent of a surface intersected by a plane can be calculated using mathematical equations and principles, such as calculus. By finding the derivative of the function that describes the curved surface, the slope of the tangent line at any point can be determined. The point of intersection between the plane and the surface can then be used to find the coordinates of the curve and tangent line.

3. What is the significance of the curve and tangent of a surface intersected by a plane in mathematics?

The curve and tangent of a surface intersected by a plane play a crucial role in mathematical concepts such as differential geometry and calculus. They are used to analyze the properties of curved surfaces and to solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and motion.

4. Can the curve and tangent of a surface intersected by a plane be visualized?

Yes, the curve and tangent of a surface intersected by a plane can be visualized using graphs and diagrams. By plotting the equations that describe the plane and curved surface, the point of intersection and corresponding tangent line can be represented on a 2-dimensional or 3-dimensional graph.

5. How does the angle between the curve and tangent of a surface intersected by a plane affect its properties?

The angle between the curve and tangent of a surface intersected by a plane, also known as the angle of inclination, can provide information about the shape and behavior of the curve at that point. For example, a larger angle of inclination can indicate a steeper curve, while a smaller angle can suggest a flatter curve. This can be useful in understanding the behavior of a curved surface and solving problems involving rates of change.