Curve and tangent of a surface intersected by a plane

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
Ral
Messages
11
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


a.)[tex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]
Find the equation of the tangent plane at the point given by: x = 1, y = 1
Draw the 3d-graph of the surface and the tangent plane.
[tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{n}[/tex] = the normal vector to the tangent plane.

b.) If the surface is intersected with the plane y = 1, what curve do you get?
Find the intersection of the tangent line to the resulting curve when x = 1.
Draw a 2d graph of the curve and the tangent line.

c.) Is the tangent line obtained in part (b) orthogonal to [tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{n}[/tex]?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I have part a done.

For the tangent plane, I have:
[tex]z= \frac{2}{\sqrt{2}}(x-1)+\frac{2}{\sqrt{2}}(y-1)+\sqrt{2}[/tex]

and [tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{n}=(\frac{2}{\sqrt{2}},\frac{2}{\sqrt{2}},-1)[/tex]

I'm not quite sure what to do for part b. I was also trying to use Maple to do the 3d graph, but that was also confusing me, if possible, can I also see what it's suppose to look like.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ral said:

Homework Statement


a.)[tex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]
Find the equation of the tangent plane at the point given by: x = 1, y = 1
Draw the 3d-graph of the surface and the tangent plane.
[tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{n}[/tex] = the normal vector to the tangent plane.

b.) If the surface is intersected with the plane y = 1, what curve do you get?
Find the intersection of the tangent line to the resulting curve when x = 1.
Draw a 2d graph of the curve and the tangent line.

c.) Is the tangent line obtained in part (b) orthogonal to [tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{n}[/tex]?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I have part a done.

For the tangent plane, I have:
[tex]z= \frac{2}{\sqrt{2}}(x-1)+\frac{2}{\sqrt{2}}(y-1)+\sqrt{2}[/tex]

and [tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{n}=(\frac{2}{\sqrt{2}},\frac{2}{\sqrt{2}},-1)[/tex]

I'm not quite sure what to do for part b. I was also trying to use Maple to do the 3d graph, but that was also confusing me, if possible, can I also see what it's suppose to look like.
Is your surface [tex]z = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/tex]?
You didn't state that in your post. Part b asks you to find the curve where the plane y = 1 intersects your surface. Just substitute y = 1 in the equation of your surface. What do you get?
 
Yeah, [tex]z = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/tex] is the surface.

So the curve would then be [tex]\sqrt{x^2 + 1}[/tex]?
 
That isn't an equation; it's just an expression. What goes on the other side of the = sign?

Once you answer that, put it in a form you can recognize and identify it.
 
[tex] z = \sqrt{x^2 + 1}[/tex]

Then would that be the curve?