Curve C is given in Polar Coordinates by the equation r=2+3sin(theta)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
xspook
Messages
19
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Curve C is given in Polar Coordinates by the equation r=2+3sinθ.
Consider the usual Cartesian plane and take O as the pole and the positive x-axis as the polar axis.

Find points on the curve C where the tangent lines are horizontal or vertical and sketch the curve C.

Homework Equations



[itex]x^{2}[/itex]+[itex]y^{2}[/itex]=[itex]r^{2}[/itex]
x=rcosθ
y=rsinθ
tanθ=[itex]\frac{y}{x}[/itex]


The Attempt at a Solution



PART 1
For some reason I feel like the addition of 2 is throwing me off

r=2+3[itex]\frac{y}{r}[/itex]
[itex]r^{2}[/itex]=2+3y
[itex]x^{2}[/itex]+[itex]y^{2}[/itex]=2+3y
[itex]x^{2}[/itex]+[itex]y^{2}[/itex]-3y=2
[itex]x^{2}[/itex]+[itex]y^{2}[/itex]-3y+([itex]\frac{-3}{2})^{2}[/itex]=2+([itex]\frac{-3}{2})^{2}[/itex]
[itex]x^{2}[/itex]+(y-[itex]\frac{3}{2}[/itex][itex])^{2}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{17}{4}[/itex]??

I don't know where to go from the last line above for the center, maybe ([itex]\frac{3}{2}[/itex],0)??...

PART 2
I know also that I am supposed to take
[itex]\frac{∂r}{∂θ}[/itex] which is 3cosθ

when I take
[itex]\frac{∂x}{∂θ}[/itex] do I take the derivative of x=2+3([itex]\frac{y}{r}[/itex])([itex]\frac{x}{r}[/itex])?? And similarly for [itex]\frac{∂y}{∂θ}[/itex].

Lastly I know I have to take [itex]\frac{∂y}{∂x}[/itex] which I hope I can easily do after I sort out the issue above.

Thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]r = 2+3\frac{y}{r}[/itex] should become [itex]r^2 = 2r+3y[/itex]

You don't need to convert your curve to cartesian coordinates to sketch it though... you can plot them directly by finding the location of a bunch of points and drawing a curve through them

For [itex]\frac{\partial x}{\partial \theta}[/itex] You should use [itex]x = r\cos(\theta)[/itex] and do the product rule
 
What do I end up doing with the 2r now?

All of my examples from class always end up looking like
[itex]r^{2}[/itex]=(some coefficient)(a variable)
we never have a term with r remaining
 
I guess I could divide by 2 and get r by itself

r=([itex]\frac{x}{2})^{2}[/itex]+([itex]\frac{y}{2})^{2}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{3y}{2}[/itex]

but I don't know what I would do with that.