1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curve C is given in Polar Coordinates by the equation r=2+3sin(theta)

1. Apr 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Curve C is given in Polar Coordinates by the equation r=2+3sinθ.
    Consider the usual Cartesian plane and take O as the pole and the positive x-axis as the polar axis.

Find points on the curve C where the tangent lines are horizontal or vertical and sketch the curve C.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]x^{2}[/itex]+[itex]y^{2}[/itex]=[itex]r^{2}[/itex]
    x=rcosθ
    y=rsinθ
    tanθ=[itex]\frac{y}{x}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

PART 1
    For some reason I feel like the addition of 2 is throwing me off

r=2+3[itex]\frac{y}{r}[/itex]
    [itex]r^{2}[/itex]=2+3y
    [itex]x^{2}[/itex]+[itex]y^{2}[/itex]=2+3y
    [itex]x^{2}[/itex]+[itex]y^{2}[/itex]-3y=2
    [itex]x^{2}[/itex]+[itex]y^{2}[/itex]-3y+([itex]\frac{-3}{2})^{2}[/itex]=2+([itex]\frac{-3}{2})^{2}[/itex]
    [itex]x^{2}[/itex]+(y-[itex]\frac{3}{2}[/itex][itex])^{2}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{17}{4}[/itex]??

I don't know where to go from the last line above for the center, maybe ([itex]\frac{3}{2}[/itex],0)??....

PART 2
    I know also that I am supposed to take
    [itex]\frac{∂r}{∂θ}[/itex] which is 3cosθ

when I take
    [itex]\frac{∂x}{∂θ}[/itex] do I take the derivative of x=2+3([itex]\frac{y}{r}[/itex])([itex]\frac{x}{r}[/itex])?? And similarly for [itex]\frac{∂y}{∂θ}[/itex].

Lastly I know I have to take [itex]\frac{∂y}{∂x}[/itex] which I hope I can easily do after I sort out the issue above.

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[itex] r = 2+3\frac{y}{r}[/itex] should become [itex] r^2 = 2r+3y [/itex]

You don't need to convert your curve to cartesian coordinates to sketch it though.... you can plot them directly by finding the location of a bunch of points and drawing a curve through them

For [itex] \frac{\partial x}{\partial \theta}[/itex] You should use [itex] x = r\cos(\theta) [/itex] and do the product rule

4. Apr 28, 2013 #3
    What do I end up doing with the 2r now?

All of my examples from class always end up looking like
    [itex]r^{2}[/itex]=(some coefficient)(a variable)
    we never have a term with r remaining

5. Apr 28, 2013 #4
    I guess I could divide by 2 and get r by itself

r=([itex]\frac{x}{2})^{2}[/itex]+([itex]\frac{y}{2})^{2}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{3y}{2}[/itex]

but I don't know what I would do with that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted