1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curve fitting of a damped harmonic oscillator

1. Jan 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I was wondering if there was a general method for finding a function that fits a set of data for a damped harmonic oscillator

I'm currently writing up a presentation on the experiment for the gravitational constant and the way i did the experiment was to use a torsion balance with a mirror at the center that oscillates with small lead balls a distance b from the mirror.

I managed to calculate the gravitational constant with in .05% of it's given value. Problem is that i think my prof wanted a visual representation of the oscillation. While my method was just to view the end points of the oscillation which is generally all you need as i have acquired such a good value.

Pictures are usually better than words, so what i have Origin is a pain sorry

tPQ1E.jpg

what i'm asking is if i could generate a function to fit this of the form sin(at)e^-bt

such that

Step_response_for_two-pole_feedback_amplifier.PNG

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2012 #2
    The formatting of your post went nuts, is the picture really big, can you edit?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook