Curve length and very hard integral

In summary, the problem is to find the length of the curve \phi(t) = \{(5+\cos(3t))\cos(t), (5+\cos(3t))\sin(t)\} with t \in [0, 2\pi]. Using the formula L_{\phi} = \int_{a}^{b}\sqrt{[x'(t)]^2+ [y'(t)]^2} and converting the equation to polar form, the integral becomes \int_{0}^{2\pi}\sqrt{(5+\cos(3t))^2+(-3\sin(3t))^2}dt. However, there is no known method to solve this integral in closed form
Mathitalian

Homework Statement

Find the length of the curve:

[itex]\phi(t)=\left\{(5+\cos(3t))\cos(t), (5+\cos(3t))\sin(t) \right\}\mbox{ with } t\in [0, 2\pi][/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]L_{\phi}= \int_{a}^{b}\sqrt{[x'(t)]^2+ [y'(t)]^2}\qquad (1.1)[/itex]

Where

[itex]x(t)= (5+\cos(3t))\cos(t)[/itex]

[itex]y(t)= (5+\cos(3t))\sin(t)[/itex]

[itex]a= 0\qquad b= 2\pi[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, i noticed that [itex]\phi(t)[/itex] is in this form:

[itex]\phi(t)=(r(t)\cos(t), r(t)\sin(t))[/itex]

so it can be expressed in polar form:

[itex]r= r(t)\iff r=5+\cos(3t) \quad t\in[0,2\pi][/itex]

so:

[itex]L_{\phi}=\int_{0}^{2\pi}\sqrt{[r(t)]^2+[r'(t)]^2}= [/itex]

[itex]= \int_{0}^{2\pi}\sqrt{(5+\cos(3t))^2+(-3\sin(3t))^2}dt[/itex]

but this integral is not so easy to solve :(

What can i do to solve it? I try to use wolfram but it gives me an approximate result.

[Sorry, my English is not so good, forgive me if there are mistakes]

Physics news on Phys.org
So far I don't see any errors.
Are you sure you need the result in closed form, and you're not allowed to do numeric integration?

Also, are you sure it's not
[tex]\phi(t) = \{ 5 + (3 \cos(3t) \cos(t)), 5 + (3 \cos(3t) \sin(t)) \}[/tex]

Thanks for your reply CompuChip :)

I can't use numeric integration, but if you tell that this integral can't be expressed in closed form I'll go to my teacher to check it.

I'm not sure there is no clever substitution that will do the trick. But there is no immediately obvious one; and if the best Wolfram Alpha does is also give you a numeric answer, that's a pretty strong hint that there is no "nice" form.

Yes, you are right, i have the same feeling. Thank you for your time!

1. What is curve length and why is it important in mathematics?

Curve length is the distance along a curved line or curve. It is important in mathematics because it allows us to calculate the total distance traveled along a curve and determine the shape of a curve.

2. How do you calculate the curve length of a function?

The curve length of a function can be calculated using a mathematical concept called integration. Integration involves finding the area under a curve, which can then be used to determine the curve length using a specific formula.

3. Can the curve length of a function be negative?

No, the curve length of a function cannot be negative. Curve length is a measure of distance, which can never be negative. If the calculated value for curve length is negative, it is likely that a mistake was made in the calculation.

4. What is a very hard integral and how do you solve it?

A very hard integral is an integral that is difficult to solve using traditional integration methods. These integrals often involve complex functions or require advanced techniques such as integration by parts or substitution. To solve a very hard integral, it may be necessary to use numerical methods or approximation techniques.

5. How is the concept of curve length used in real-world applications?

The concept of curve length is used in many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. For example, in physics, the curve length of a path can be used to calculate the work done by a force. In engineering, curve length is often used to determine the length of pipes, cables, or other curved structures. In computer graphics, curve length is used to create smooth, realistic curves in digital images and animations.