1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curve Sketching with Derivatives?

1. Mar 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am given the following function:

[tex]f(x)=\frac{2x^2}{x-1}[/tex]

The question asks to find the critical points and classify each using the second derivative.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got the derivative of f(x) to be:
    [tex]f'(x)=\frac{2x^2-4x}{(x-1)^2}[/tex]
    So the critical points are when x=0, x=1, and x=2.

Here's where I'm stuck. I don't know what it means when it asks to classify each using the second derivative.
    If it helps, the second derivative is:

[tex] f''(x)=\frac{-8x^2+12x-4}{(x-1)^4}[/tex]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2008 #2
    What it means is that you can use the second derivative to determine if there is either a local minimum or local maximum or asymptote. For example, if f'(x)=0 and f''(x) is positive, you know that there is a local minimum.

4. Mar 24, 2008 #3
    Second derivative determines concavity or convexity of a function. A function whose second derivative is everywhere positive is increasing at an increasing rate. This makes it convex downward, or just concave. On the other hand, a negative second derivative indicates a convex upward. When the 2nd derivative is zero, this is an inflection point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?