1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curved beam stress calculation problem

1. Jul 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate stress in a curved beam and compare with FEA model.

2. Relevant equations

Stress = (M*(r-rn))/(Aer)

3. The attempt at a solution

I used the above formula, which is repeated in many text books and reputable engineering websites, to calculate stress in a curved beam. My result was 9.5 MPa, but the FEA result was over 500 MPa (see attached image).

I've checked my calculations and I'm convinced I haven't made a mistake. I really do not know why there is such a large disagreement between my calculations and the FEA result. I have repeated the FEA process several times and in different ways but the disagreement is constant.

If anyone knows what is going wrong here please tell me!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2017 #2
    Hello Aertsz

I have a same problem with you.İn Curved Beams there is something I can not achieve.My Hand Calculation is 12 MPA My Ansys result is 400 MPA.If you found the reason or solution please share me?

My email: tehc21@gmail.com

4. May 29, 2017 #3

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is an old thread . Best to start a fresh one .

Please post full information about the problem in the new thread and show us your attempt at calculations .

5. May 29, 2017 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

nb : Showing Email addresses openly on forum is not advisable . Delete yours asap .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted