Lower wishbone stress calculation problem

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with their stress calculation problem for a front suspension assembly designed on pro/e. They want to validate their design by comparing the stress found in a 3g bump situation to the yield stress. The speaker has simplified the v-shaped wishbone to one length of tubing and has calculated the force at the suspension bracket to be 5849.03N. They are using static calculations but may need to do a dynamic analysis to accurately account for all forces. The speaker is also considering using ANSYS for their model.
brown
Hi,
I was wondering if some one could help me with my stress calculation problem.

I have designed a front suspension assembly for a locost sports car on pro/e. I would like to validate my design by performing some bending moment calculations of the part and then comparing the stress found in a 3g bump situation to that of the yield stress.
I have performed some of the calculations so far but don't know if i am going in the right direction and what to do next. I'm working in SI units.

I have simplified the v shaped wishbone to one length of tubing.
length = 0.3429m

One end is connected to the chassis and rotates about the bracket.

The other is connected to the lower ball joint that connects to the wheel and upright assembly.

The suspension spring and damper bracket centre is located 0.08407m from the lower balljoint.

The force at the wheel end is the reaction force of half the axle wieght + 3g
weight of axle = 300kg /2 = 150kg x 3g = 4414.5N
In a 3g bump the wishbone will rotate up wards and the damper would compress right up to the bump stops and so effectively would be stationary. therefore if clockwise moments = anti clockwise then..
4414.5N x 0.3429 = A x 0.2588

( 0.2588 is 0.3429 - 0.08407)

therfore A (force at suspension bracket =
5849.03N

I found the second moment of area to be..
I = 2 x10-8 m2

and y = 0.0127m

so if sigma = My/I then i should be able to find sigma and see if is below the yeild stress of the steel

This is how far i got with the calculations

Is the force at the suspension bracket correct?
What is M ?
I wanted the calculations to be for two bars side by side so to get the corect stress do i change the second moment of area to the value for two bars or,
perform the calcs for one bar and then x 2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Suspensions are a complicated thing to anylize because of all of the forces you have to account for. Plus, you're doing static calculations. If you really want to look at the
actual stresses, you're going to have to do a dynamic analysis.

For the simplified model, I would look at modeling the tube as a beam with a ball and socket at one end andthe other free with a rigid support at the point of shock absorber attachment. I would also look at the moment you are using. At the point the strut bottoms out, you are not going to be seeing the axle weight, you'll be seeing the inertial load from the mass of the vehicle itself, plus the load created by the strut compression. You're going to have to estimate the force distribution to the wheels and then you will have an idea as to what the moment about the strut attachment point is.

See if you can't get your model to someone with ANSYS.

Hi there,

It sounds like you have made some good progress on your stress calculation problem. It is always a good idea to validate your design through calculations before moving on to physical testing.

To answer your questions, the force at the suspension bracket seems to be correct based on the information you have provided. However, it would be helpful to have a clear image or diagram of your assembly to confirm this.

In terms of the "M" in the equation, this represents the bending moment. It is the product of the force and the distance from the point of rotation (in this case, the bracket) to the point where the force is applied (in this case, the wheel end). It is important to make sure you are using the correct distance in your calculation.

As for the second moment of area, it should be calculated based on the cross-sectional area of your tubing. If you are using two bars side by side, you would need to consider the combined cross-sectional area in your calculation. You could also perform the calculations for one bar and then multiply by two, but make sure you are using the correct value for the second moment of area in this case.

I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations!

What is a lower wishbone stress calculation problem?

A lower wishbone stress calculation problem refers to the process of determining the amount of stress that is placed on a lower wishbone component of a vehicle's suspension system. This is a critical aspect of vehicle design and safety, as excessive stress on the wishbone can lead to failure and potential accidents.

Why is it important to calculate lower wishbone stress?

Calculating lower wishbone stress is important for several reasons. Firstly, it allows engineers to ensure that the component is strong enough to withstand the stresses of everyday use. Additionally, it helps to identify any potential weak points in the design that may need to be reinforced. Lastly, accurate stress calculations can help to improve the overall performance and longevity of the vehicle.

What factors contribute to lower wishbone stress?

Several factors can contribute to lower wishbone stress, including the weight and distribution of the vehicle, the type of road surface it will be driven on, and the forces generated during acceleration, braking, and cornering. Other factors such as the material properties, design, and manufacturing process of the wishbone also play a role in determining stress levels.

How is lower wishbone stress calculated?

Lower wishbone stress can be calculated through a series of complex mathematical equations and computer simulations. These calculations take into account the factors mentioned above and use principles of mechanics and materials science to determine the stress levels on the wishbone. Advanced software and simulation tools are often used to assist in this process.

What are the potential consequences of not properly calculating lower wishbone stress?

If lower wishbone stress is not accurately calculated, it can lead to a variety of consequences. These may include premature wear and tear on the wishbone, reduced vehicle performance, and even structural failure, which could result in accidents or breakdowns. In extreme cases, failure to properly calculate stress levels could result in costly recalls or legal issues for vehicle manufacturers.