1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curved motion, r(φ) when r is accelerating

1. Jan 28, 2015 #1
    Hi there!

I have a problem to find an equation of r(t), which will help me to describe motion of blue dot. I have seen many cases where there is a linear motion and you can write φ=ωt , r=V0t, but here there is an acceleration. I think I can write φ=εt2/2, but what about r(t) ? I have tried differencial equation
    r = at2/2 + r0 → r = (r''-rφ')t2/2 + r0, but not sure if it's right. I need all this to have equation of path r(φ). r0 is initial position of blue dot, where V0=0 and ω=0. Cheers!

9iqvmd.jpg

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2015 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

There are many possible formulas for r(t) that would produce a curved trajectory. To pose a specific mathematical problem, you have to state a complete set of requirements for r(t). Is this a physics problem? Are forces involved?

4. Jan 28, 2015 #3
    I am trying to describe a motion of a clay target in a spring-powered target thrower. You can involve some forces (f.ex. friction between target and friction tunnel of an arm), but this complicates case even more. The only constant I can assume is velocity when target leaves the arm (27m/s). Everything else has to be calculated. The main thing is to have ε of this arm, because then from M=I⋅ε we can have required force in a spring.

5. Jan 28, 2015 #4

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

The instantaneous velocity in polar coordinates is given by the vector [itex] \frac{dr}{dt}r [/itex] in the radial direction and [itex] \frac{d\theta}{dt} \theta [/itex] in the tangential direction. If you want the magnitude of this velocity vector to be 27 m/sec at the time t when the target reaches the end of the arm, you have to keep in mind the contribution of the component [itex] \frac{dr}{dt} r[/itex] to the velocity. It will be important to have a physically reasonable formula for [itex] r(t) [/itex].

6. Jan 28, 2015 #5

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

Without forces, how would you know how the object moves?
    There are many possible motions that end with a speed of 27m/s.

7. Jan 29, 2015 #6

A.T.

Science Advisor

I think you at least need to also know the time it needs to get to that speed (from rest?), to get the (constant?) angular acceleration of the thrower. Then I would use the rotating reference frame of the thrower to compute r(t) using the inertial forces there.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook