Cuts of a Feynman diagram and the massless limit

In summary, the all massless box can be obtained by sending all masses to zero in the 4 cut of the massive box.
CAF123
Gold Member
Consider a ##j## point all massive leg one loop polygonal Feynman diagram ##P## representing some scattering process cut on a particular mass channel ##s_i##. Invoking the relevant Feynman rules and proceeding with the integration via dimensional regularisation for example gives me an expression for ##\text{Cut}_{s_i}P\left(p_1^2, \dots, p_j^2, \epsilon\right)##.

I am wondering if someone could explain why it is or is not possible to send the mass corresponding to the channel that was cut to zero if I wanted to consider a massless limit?

Many thanks!

Looks like you are talking infrared divergence. If you sent all the masses to zero, the amplitude is divergent as energy goes to zero, thus you have to apply a cutoff. The argument for QED is, by considering there is measuring energy threshold for any apparatus, the final result would not depend on any cutoff but the apparatus threshold.

Likes vanhees71
Rainbowend said:
Looks like you are talking infrared divergence. If you sent all the masses to zero, the amplitude is divergent as energy goes to zero, thus you have to apply a cutoff. The argument for QED is, by considering there is measuring energy threshold for any apparatus, the final result would not depend on any cutoff but the apparatus threshold.
Sorry for the late reply and for just coming back to this thread now. I have yet to take a proper course in the path integral formulism in QFT, so what I say may be a bit incorrect. As far as I understand it, dimensional regularisation is a regularisation procedure in which there is no need to introduce a cut off scale?

If we consider a 4 propagator cut of the massive box, then taking four prop cuts reduces its weight to zero and thus its expansion in the regulator starts off as const + A##\epsilon##. I am not sure if this is related to the fact that the 4 prop cut of the all massless box can be obtained by simply sending all masses to zero in the 4 cut of the massive box? At least my prof gave me the impression you could, but I am still understanding why.

This thread is a month old and Rainbowend only has two posts so might be away. If anyone else has anything to say, please do, thanks :)

1. What are cuts of a Feynman diagram?

Cuts of a Feynman diagram refer to the lines that connect the vertices of the diagram and represent the interactions between particles. These lines can be thought of as the "paths" that particles take as they move through space and time.

2. How do cuts affect the overall structure of a Feynman diagram?

Cuts play a crucial role in determining the overall structure of a Feynman diagram. They determine which particles can interact with each other and the types of interactions that can occur. The number and arrangement of cuts can also impact the complexity and number of terms in the mathematical expression for the diagram.

3. What is the purpose of taking the massless limit in Feynman diagrams?

The massless limit is often used in Feynman diagrams to simplify calculations and make predictions about the behavior of particles at high energies. It assumes that the masses of particles are negligible compared to their energies, allowing for easier mathematical manipulation and interpretation of results.

4. How does the massless limit affect the propagation of particles in Feynman diagrams?

In the massless limit, particles can travel at the speed of light, which affects their propagation in Feynman diagrams. This can lead to special cases such as the "light-cone" limit, where particles can only interact at certain angles and distances due to the constraints of traveling at the speed of light.

5. Are there any limitations to using the massless limit in Feynman diagrams?

While the massless limit can be a useful approximation in certain cases, it is not always applicable. For example, it cannot accurately describe the behavior of particles with non-zero masses, and it may not be suitable for studying interactions at lower energies. Additionally, it may not fully account for certain quantum effects, such as particle spin, which can become significant at high energies.