Computing amplitude for divergent loop diagrams?

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of a cross-section for a diagram with a divergent triangle loop involving fermions with zero and negative charge. The low energy limit is considered, with the W-propagator represented by ##\frac {i\eta_{\mu\nu}} {M_w^2}##. The computation involves an integration of the form ##\int \frac {k_\mu \gamma^\mu +m_-} {k^2 -m_-^2} \frac {d^4 k} {(2\pi)^4} ##, where ##m_-## is the mass of ##X^-##. Suggestions for finding the amplitude in terms of kinematic parameters, masses, and external wave
Ramtin123
I am trying to compute the cross-section for the diagram below with a divergent triangle loop:
Divergent_diag.png

where ##X^0## and ##X^-## are some fermions with zero and negative charge respectively. I am interested in low energy limits, so you can consider W-propagator as ##\frac {i\eta_{\mu\nu}} {M_w^2}##.

When computing the amplitude, you end of with an integration of the form:

$$ \int \frac {k_\mu \gamma^\mu +m_-} {k^2 -m_-^2} \frac {d^4 k} {(2\pi)^4} $$

where ##m_-## is mass of ##X^-##.

Any ideas how to find the amplitude in terms of kinematic parameters, masses etc?

Attachments

• Divergent_diag.png
    Divergent_diag.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 710
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a particular part you're stuck on? What textbook(s) are you using? This is a rather simple integral as far as QFT goes, but I don't feel comfortable doing the work for you.

My first question is how to do this integral?
I have Peskin & Schroeder at hand.

Ramtin123 said:
I am trying to compute the cross-section for the diagram below with a divergent triangle loop:
View attachment 231247

where ##X^0## and ##X^-## are some fermions with zero and negative charge respectively. I am interested in low energy limits, so you can consider W-propagator as ##\frac {i\eta_{\mu\nu}} {M_w^2}##.

When computing the amplitude, you end of with an integration of the form:

$$ \int \frac {k_\mu \gamma^\mu +m_-} {k^2 -m_-^2} \frac {d^4 k} {(2\pi)^4} $$

where ##m_-## is mass of ##X^-##.

Any ideas how to find the amplitude in terms of kinematic parameters, masses etc?
You are missing a term ##i \epsilon ## in the denominator. You also forgot the external wave functions. Depending on what you want to calculate, you will either choose certain spin components and polarizations for the external states or you will have to do a sum/average over them. For the integration, it is standard. Look in P&S on pages 189-196 (section 6.3) for detailed examples.

Likes Ramtin123

1. What is the purpose of computing amplitude for divergent loop diagrams?

The amplitude for divergent loop diagrams is computed in order to calculate the probability of a particular particle interaction occurring. This is important for understanding the behavior of subatomic particles and predicting experimental outcomes in particle physics.

2. How is the amplitude for divergent loop diagrams calculated?

The amplitude is calculated using Feynman diagrams, which depict the interaction between particles through the exchange of virtual particles. The calculation involves summing over all possible Feynman diagrams and taking into account the properties of the particles involved.

3. What are some challenges in computing amplitude for divergent loop diagrams?

One challenge is dealing with divergences in the calculation, where the result of the calculation approaches infinity. This requires the use of theoretical tools such as renormalization to remove the divergences and obtain a physically meaningful result.

4. What are some applications of computing amplitude for divergent loop diagrams?

The calculation of amplitude for divergent loop diagrams is essential for making predictions in particle physics experiments, such as those conducted at the Large Hadron Collider. It also helps to validate and refine theoretical models of subatomic particles and their interactions.

5. How does computing amplitude for divergent loop diagrams contribute to our understanding of the universe?

By accurately calculating the amplitude for divergent loop diagrams, we can gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental forces and particles that make up the universe. This knowledge can also help us to develop new technologies and treatments, such as medical imaging techniques and cancer therapies, that utilize particle interactions.