1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cyclic and non proper subgroups

1. Nov 12, 2008 #1
    1. What is/are the condition for a group with no proper subgroup to be cyclic?

2. Relevant equations

3. this is just a general qustion I am asking in oder to prove something?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Let a be non-identity member of G. If for some n, an= e, then {a, a2, ..., an-1, an= e} is a subgroup of G.

Now if G has no proper subgroups what is the smallest such n for any a? What does that tell you about G?

4. Nov 14, 2008 #3
    I don't quite understand, but I'm guessing the smallest such n would be 1... can you give me an example of a Group with non proper subgroups

5. Nov 14, 2008 #4
    I think I figurd it out ...the smallest of such n would be distinct , the group itself would bconsist of elements of infinite order... I still need an example of a Cyclic group with non proper subgroups

6. Nov 14, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you really understand what you are asking? Any group of prime order has no proper subgroup.

7. Nov 15, 2008 #6
    Not quite...Ok this is my problem:
    If G has noroper subgroups, prove that G is cyclic.

Proof:
    If G has no proper subgroup then |G|= p. For any nonidentity element a belonging to G, <a> is a subgroup of order greater than 1. By Langrange's Theorem, since |a|divides |G| |a| = p therefore, <a> = G and G is a cyclic group of order p.

Does this proof make sense? In your first question I sain that the smallest scuh n is 1 hence the reason why I said that |a| must be greater than one...I'm notre if my proof is correct but does it make sense?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?