Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cyclic groups generator problem!

1. Jan 30, 2012 #1
    Regarding finite cyclic groups, if a group G, has generator g, then every element [itex] h \in G [/itex] can be written as [itex] h = g^k [/itex] for some k.

But surely every element in G is a generator as for any [itex] k [/itex], [itex] (g^k)^n [/itex] eventually equals all the elements of G as [itex] n [/itex] in takes each integer in turn.

Thanks for any replies!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2012 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is not true. What if you choose a k such that g^k=1 (e.g. k=|G|)?

The problem with your reasoning is that (g^k)^n=g^(kn) won't hit every element of G as n runs, because you need all elements of the form g^m for any m. If you're only taking powers of the form kn then you won't get every integral power unless you choose a good k. It's pretty easy to determine what makes k good. You simply need to recall two facts:
    (1) ord(g^k)=ord(g)/gcd(ord(g),k)=|G|/gcd(|G|,k), and
    (2) h generates G iff ord(h)=|G|.
    Combining these, we conclude that g^k will generate G=<g> iff gcd(|G|,k)=1, i.e., iff k and |G| are coprime.

So my example above with k=|G| (or more generally k a multiple of |G|) is an example of the worst possible k to choose.

4. Jan 30, 2012 #3
    Ah I see it now, thank you!

5. Jan 31, 2012 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

just try adding 2 to itself repeatedly in Z/6Z. note that you only get different results for n= 1,2,3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook