Cyclotron Resonance (Solid State Physics)

In summary, the equation of motion for an electron subject to the periodic potential of a crystal lattice is given by -e\mathbf{v} \times \mathbf{B} where B lies in the xy plane.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Cyclotron resonance for a spheroidal energy surface. Consider the energy surface

[tex] \epsilon(\mathbf{k}) = \hbar^2 \left( \frac{k_x^2 + k_y^2}{2m_t} + \frac{k_z^2}{2m_l} \right) [/tex]​

where mt is the transverse mass parameter and ml is the longitudinal mass parameter. A surface on which [itex] \epsilon(\mathbf{k}) [/itex] is constant will be a spheroid. Use the equation of motion with [itex] \mathbf{v} = \hbar^{-1} \nabla_{\mathbf{k}} \epsilon [/itex] to show that [itex] \omega_c = eB/(m_l m_t)^{1/2}c [/itex] when the static magnetic field B lies in the xy plane.

Homework Equations

Dynamics of Bloch Electrons

The equation of motion for an electron subject to the periodic potential of a crystal lattice is

[tex] \hbar \frac{d\mathbf{k}}{dt} = -\frac{e}{c}\mathbf{v} \times \mathbf{B} \ \ \ \textrm{cgs} [/tex][tex] \hbar \frac{d\mathbf{k}}{dt} = -e\mathbf{v} \times \mathbf{B} \ \ \ \textrm{SI} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] \mathbf{v} = \hbar^{-1} \nabla_{\mathbf{k}} \epsilon(\mathbf{k}) = \hbar^{-1} \left( \hat{k}_x \frac{\partial}{\partial k_x} + \hat{k}_y \frac{\partial}{\partial k_y} + \hat{k}_z \frac{\partial}{\partial k_z} \right) \hbar^2 \left( \frac{k_x^2 + k_y^2}{2m_t} + \frac{k_z^2}{2m_l} \right) [/tex]​

[tex] = \hbar \left( \hat{k}_x \frac{k_x}{m_t} + \hat{k}_y \frac{k_y}{m_t} + \hat{k}_z \frac{k_z}{m_l} \right) [/tex]​

Apply the equation of motion with

[tex] \mathbf{B} = B_x \hat{x} + B_y \hat{y} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{d\mathbf{k}}{dt} = -\frac{e}{c}\left( \hat{k}_x \frac{k_x}{m_t} + \hat{k}_y \frac{k_y}{m_t} + \hat{k}_z \frac{k_z}{m_l} \right) \times (B_x \hat{x} + B_y \hat{y}) [/tex]

Right so, um how am I supposed to proceed to compute such a cross product? :uhh:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
so, you have problem with mixing coordinate space vectors with momentum space vectors. you can still do this as long as you know what is
[tex]\hat k_i \times \hat x_j[/tex]
at the moment I can't recall what this is... but i think [tex]\hat k_i \perp \hat x_i[/tex]
should try the momentum space representation of the position operator as a guide to convert them, perhaps?

Did you ever figure this out?

Last edited:
I just had this on a test, but didn't get it done so as you can imagine i was curious about it. Also, just realized you put this on here a year ago so nevermind.

1. What is Cyclotron Resonance?

Cyclotron resonance is a phenomenon in solid state physics in which charged particles, such as electrons, are subjected to a magnetic field and an oscillating electric field at a specific frequency, causing them to move in circular or spiral paths.

2. What is the significance of Cyclotron Resonance in solid state physics?

Cyclotron resonance plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of charged particles in materials and is used to study the electronic and magnetic properties of materials. It is also important in the development of technologies such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and particle accelerators.

3. How is Cyclotron Resonance experimentally observed?

Cyclotron resonance can be observed by passing a beam of charged particles through a magnetic field and applying an alternating current (AC) electric field at a specific frequency. The particles will then experience a force that causes them to move in a circular or spiral path, which can be detected and measured.

4. Can Cyclotron Resonance be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, Cyclotron Resonance can be controlled and manipulated by adjusting the strength of the magnetic field and the frequency of the applied electric field. This allows scientists to study the effects of different parameters on the behavior of charged particles in materials.

5. What are the potential applications of Cyclotron Resonance?

Cyclotron resonance has various applications in materials science, including studying the electronic and magnetic properties of materials, as well as in technology, such as in the development of MRI machines and particle accelerators. It also has potential applications in quantum computing and spintronics.