Cylinder about side, finding angular velocity

In summary, the problem involves a 5.0 kg disk rotating on an axle through one edge, parallel to the floor. The initial rotation energy is zero, so all potential energy must go into rotational energy at the bottom point. The solution involves using the law of conservation of energy and the concept of moment of inertia to find the angular velocity of the cylinder when it is directly below the axle. This is done by calculating the moment of inertia of the disk about the pivot point and then using it in the rotational energy equation.
aliaze1
Cylinder about side, finding angular velocity...

Homework Statement

A 5.0 kg, 60-cm-diameter disk rotates on an axle passing through one edge. The axle is parallel to the floor. The cylinder is held with the center of mass at the same height as the axle, then released.

http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1001021/11/knight_Figure_13_72.jpg

What is the cylinder's angular velocity when it is directly below the axle?

Homework Equations

Law of conservation of energy (kinetic and potential of both sides)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to do this problem using mgy=1/2mv^2 but it didnt work...

I know it has something to do with moment of inertia, but do I just add the moment of inertia to the 1/2mv^2 and solve for v?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I tried to do this problem using mgy=1/2mv^2 but it didnt work...
Use rotational energy with the potential energy. The initial rotation energy about the axle is zero, so all the potential energy must go into rotational energy at the bottom point.
I know it has something to do with moment of inertia, but do I just add the moment of inertia to the 1/2mv^2 and solve for v?
You do not just "add" in moment of inertia! You will need to find the moment of inertia of the disk about that pivot point.

ah ic, i need to use rotational energy...i was treating this as a pendulum but i guess i can't do that haha

lol yea, that's what i meant, i have to use Icm + Md^2 to find it at the pivot point

thanks, ill see how it goes

Last edited:
yo thanks, i got it!

What is a cylinder and how does it relate to angular velocity?

A cylinder is a three-dimensional geometric shape with a circular base and straight, parallel sides. When discussing angular velocity, a cylinder can be used to represent an object rotating around its axis.

How do you calculate the angular velocity of a cylinder?

The formula for angular velocity is ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω represents the angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angle over time, and Δt is the change in time. For a cylinder, this can be calculated by dividing the change in the angle of rotation by the time it takes to complete one full rotation.

What is the unit of measurement for angular velocity?

The unit of measurement for angular velocity is radians per second (rad/s). This unit represents the change in radians (a unit of angle measurement) over a period of one second.

How does the diameter of a cylinder affect its angular velocity?

The diameter of a cylinder does not directly affect its angular velocity. However, a larger diameter may result in a longer distance traveled during one rotation, which can affect the linear velocity of the object and indirectly impact the angular velocity.

Can the angular velocity of a cylinder change?

Yes, the angular velocity of a cylinder can change if the object is experiencing a change in its rotational speed or direction. This can occur if an external force is applied to the object, or if the object itself changes shape or size.