1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cylindrical resonance cavity problem

1. May 9, 2014 #1
    Hello all!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a cylindrical cavity with length "d" and radius "a". Find the corresponding electric field, and the dispersion relation therein.
    2. Relevant equations
    Maxwell's equations.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to solve the appropriate vector Helmholtz equation(obtained by assuming harmonic time-dependence of the waves in the cavity).
    Within the cylinder, one arrives at(where: [itex]\vec{E}=\vec{E_0}(r, \varphi, z)e^{-i \omega t}[/itex])
    [tex]
    \vec{\nabla}^2 \vec{E_0} = \frac{\omega^2}{c^2} \vec{E_0}
    [/tex]
    However, since [itex] \vec{E_0} = E_r \hat{r} + E_\varphi \hat{\varphi} + E_z \hat{z} [/itex], the Laplacian becomes far more convoluted in the cylindrical form.
    Solving for Ez is not that difficult(with appropriate separation of variables).
    However, how does one find E_r, E_phi?
    After all, solving for the wave equation for the r, phi components involves:
    [tex]
    (\vec{\nabla}^2 \vec{E_0})_r = \vec{\nabla}^2 E_r - \frac{1}{r^2}(E_r + 2\frac{\partial E_{\varphi}}{\partial \varphi})
    [/tex]
    However, this equation for E_r requires E_phi; and obviously, the components of E_r are not necessarily identical to E_phi, so substituting one for the other(through analogous separation of variables for both) is impossible here.
    Without making any other assumptions(or simplifications; for instance, I managed to simplify the problem greatly if I assumed complete azimuthal symmetry(i.e. E_phi = 0 & d/dphi =0)), is there any way to obtain an exact solution for this? Where should I turn to, next?
    Thank you for your attention,
    Reliant on your help,
    Daniel

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2014 #2
    Going to have to bump this; is this at all solvable?

4. May 14, 2014 #3
    Bump

Bumping again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted