Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

D spacing from X-ray diffraction data

1. Dec 21, 2011 #1
    How do get the d spacing from XRD data, using braggs law. I am unsure how to actually obtain the value of d. I have attached the file as a text file with the data in.

Many thanks for the help.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2011 #2
    Plot this and find out what 2theta value your peaks occur at. If you know the crystal structure and the family of planes you wish to find the d-spacing for it is just a simple calculation.

If you don't know the crystal structure, its more complicated.

4. Dec 30, 2011 #3
    Hi Goalie33,

I know it is YBCO (superconductor) in its superconducting phase so it has an Orthorhombic crystal structure.

Does this help at all? What I really want to do is to determine the a, b, c lattice parameters.

5. Dec 30, 2011 #4
    Hi,
    I think you're making this out to be a more complicated operation than it needs to be. I would suggest getting a good book on XRD from the library (I like Cullity). It will nearly walk you through the steps to find a, b, and c.

Now, the book will give you a formula for bragg angle (NOT 2 THETA) as a function of h,k,l and a,b,c. Knowing that the a,b,c d-spacings correspond to the (001) type planes you can find a,b, and c easily. Hope this helps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook