D'Alembert question - boundary conditions parts

In summary, the problem is to find the d'alembert solution for a general wave equation on the half line with given initial conditions and a boundary condition. The d'alembert solution is provided, but it is shown that it does not exist for a specific value of \eta. There is some confusion about the problem statement due to a possible error in the given information.
Ratpigeon

Homework Statement

I have a general wave equation on the half line
utt-c2uxx=0
u(x,0)=α(x)
ut(x,0)=β(x)
and the boundary condition;
ut(0,t)=cηux
where α is α extended as an odd function to the real line (and same for β)
I have to find the d'alembert solution for x>=0; and show that in general it doesn't exist for η=-1

Homework Equations

The d'alembert solution is
u(x,t)=1/2(α(x+ct)+α(x-ct))+1/2c [itex]\int[/itex]x+ctx-ctβ(y) dy
for x>ct

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that to restrict it to the whole of the x>=0, t>=0 region, I need to use the boundary condition; but I get that
u(0,t)=0 because α and β are odd, which makes α(ct)+(-ct)
and the integral from -ct to ct of β(y) zero; and so u_t(0,t) is zero which is supremely not useful...

Physics news on Phys.org
Ratpigeon said:

Homework Statement

I have a general wave equation on the half line
utt-c2uxx=0
u(x,0)=α(x)
ut(x,0)=β(x)
and the boundary condition;
ut(0,t)=cηux
where α is α extended as an odd function to the real line (and same for β)
I have to find the d'alembert solution for x>=0; and show that in general it doesn't exist for η=-1

Homework Equations

The d'alembert solution is
u(x,t)=1/2(α(x+ct)+α(x-ct))+1/2c [itex]\int[/itex]x+ctx-ctβ(y) dy
for x>ct

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that to restrict it to the whole of the x>=0, t>=0 region, I need to use the boundary condition; but I get that
u(0,t)=0 because α and β are odd, which makes α(ct)+(-ct)
and the integral from -ct to ct of β(y) zero; and so u_t(0,t) is zero which is supremely not useful...

Are you sure you copied down the problem statement correctly? It would make a lot more sense if [itex]\beta[/itex] were an even function, and your boundary condition was [itex]u_t(0,t)=c\eta u_x(0,t)[/itex] for some constant [itex]\eta[/itex].

1. What is D'Alembert's question?

D'Alembert's question is a mathematical problem that asks for the solution to a partial differential equation subject to certain boundary conditions.

2. Who is D'Alembert and why is this question named after him?

D'Alembert was an 18th-century French mathematician and physicist. He was the first to pose this question, which has since become a fundamental concept in the study of partial differential equations.

3. What are boundary conditions in relation to D'Alembert's question?

Boundary conditions are the constraints that must be satisfied by the solution to D'Alembert's question at the boundary of the domain in which it is being solved. They are essential for finding a unique solution to the problem.

4. Can D'Alembert's question be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, D'Alembert's question has many practical applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. It is used to model and solve real-world problems that involve partial differential equations.

5. What are some techniques for solving D'Alembert's question?

Some common techniques for solving D'Alembert's question include separation of variables, Fourier series, and numerical methods such as finite differences or finite elements. The choice of technique depends on the specific problem and its boundary conditions.