D'Alembert's Principle:- A Falling Box

In summary: This simplifies the equations and saves time.In summary, D'Alembert's Principle is a method for solving dynamic problems by treating them as static problems. It involves rearranging equations to equal 0 and introducing pseudo forces to account for acceleration. While it can be used in a falling object problem, it is not the most efficient method and can be more useful in problems involving torques.
Meekin
I've been asked to research D'Alembert's principle and solve a question. I've looked up quite a lot of different explanations on the internet of D'Alembert's Principle and I'm not quite grasping how to use it. I understand that you rearrange formula so that they equal 0 (e.g. f - ma = 0 or PE - KE = 0 ) so then you can treat them as static problems. I'm just really struggling on how to apply this to a question.

Homework Statement

A 25kg box is dropped from a height of 3.5m. Using D'Alembert's Principle work out the velocity reached immediately before hitting the ground.

(Gravity to be taken as 9.81ms-2)

Homework Equations

KE = (0.5 x (mass x velocity^2))

PE = mass x acceleration due to gravity x height

Final Velocity^2 = Initial Velocity^2 + (2 x Acceleration x Displacement)

The Attempt at a Solution

I already worked this out using the conservation of energy method and got an answer of Velocity = 8.287ms-1

I then tried playing around with it and realized i could treat it as though it was a box on a horizontal place with no friction

S = 3.5
A = 9.81ms-2
U = 0
V = ?

using v^2 = u^2 + 2as i got the same answer of 8.287ms-1.

This was a guess at a method because its the only other method I've managed to come up with but I'm fairly sure it doesn't use D'Alembert's Principle.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys

Physics news on Phys.org
Meekin said:
I've been asked to research D'Alembert's principle and solve a question. I've looked up quite a lot of different explanations on the internet of D'Alembert's Principle and I'm not quite grasping how to use it. I understand that you rearrange formula so that they equal 0 (e.g. f - ma = 0 or PE - KE = 0 ) so then you can treat them as static problems. I'm just really struggling on how to apply this to a question.

Homework Statement

A 25kg box is dropped from a height of 3.5m. Using D'Alembert's Principle work out the velocity reached immediately before hitting the ground.

(Gravity to be taken as 9.81ms-2)

Homework Equations

KE = (0.5 x (mass x velocity^2))

PE = mass x acceleration due to gravity x height

Final Velocity^2 = Initial Velocity^2 + (2 x Acceleration x Displacement)

The Attempt at a Solution

I already worked this out using the conservation of energy method and got an answer of Velocity = 8.287ms-1

I then tried playing around with it and realized i could treat it as though it was a box on a horizontal place with no friction

S = 3.5
A = 9.81ms-2
U = 0
V = ?

using v^2 = u^2 + 2as i got the same answer of 8.287ms-1.

This was a guess at a method because its the only other method I've managed to come up with but I'm fairly sure it doesn't use D'Alembert's Principle.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys
You are correct about D'Alemberts principle being, in its simplest form, a rearrangement of Newtons 2nd Law into an equation of dynamic equilibrium, that is , a rearrangement of F_net = ma into simply F_net - ma = 0, where the term " -ma " is a so-called pseudo force or inertial force which acts through the objects center of mass equal in magnitude to F_net and applied in the opposite direction. In your falling box example, the net force is mg acting down and the pseudo inertial force is ma acting up. So you write mg - ma = 0, from which a = g, and you solve for v using your kinematic equation to get of course the same result. The use of D'Alembert here is not very useful and can work against you if you are not careful.
The use of D'Alembert is more appropriate when dealing with torques , because you can then sum moments about any point = 0 for accelerating objects, instead of having to sum torques about the center of mass only if D'Alembert inertial forces are not used.

1. What is D'Alembert's Principle?

D'Alembert's Principle states that the sum of the forces acting on a system, as well as the inertial forces, is equal to zero.

2. How does D'Alembert's Principle apply to a falling box?

In the case of a falling box, D'Alembert's Principle tells us that the sum of the forces acting on the box, including the force of gravity and any other external forces, is equal to the inertial force of the box falling downwards.

3. What is the significance of D'Alembert's Principle in physics?

D'Alembert's Principle is important in physics because it allows us to analyze the motion of a system without considering the effects of inertia. This simplifies the calculation of forces and accelerations.

4. Is D'Alembert's Principle always true?

No, D'Alembert's Principle is not always true. It is only applicable in certain situations, such as when the system is in equilibrium or moving at a constant velocity.

5. Can D'Alembert's Principle be applied to systems with multiple moving parts?

Yes, D'Alembert's Principle can be applied to systems with multiple moving parts. It is often used in analyzing the motion of complex systems, such as a pendulum or a system of connected masses.