Plot graph of 1D wave equation (using d'Alembert's formula)

In summary, the person is trying to plot the function u(x, t) at time t=2a/v using d'Alembert's formula. They have been given the general solution for a 1D wave equation and the specific conditions for u(x,0). They are having trouble plotting u(x,0) and have tried to use the constraints given to solve for u(x+2a,0) and u(x-2a,0). However, they are unsure if this is the correct approach and are seeking clarification on how to plot the function.
whatisreality

Homework Statement

[/B]
Don't know if this goes here or in the advanced bit, thought I'd try here first!

I know the general solution of a 1D wave equation is given by d'Alembert's formula

##u(x,t) = 0.5[u(x+vt,0) + u(x-vt,0)] + \frac{1}{2v} \int_{x-vt}^{x+vt} \frac{\partial u}{\partial t}(x,0) \mathrm dx##.

And I've been given that for my particular wave, ##\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}(x,0)## = 0 for all x, so that's nice because I don't have to worry about the integral in d'Alembert's.

I've also been given that u(x,0) is x+a for -a≤x≤0
and u(x,0) is a-x for 0≤x≤a
and 0 otherwise.

##a## is a real positive constant.

Plot u(x,t) as a function of x at time t=2a/v.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My y-axis is going to be labelled u(x) and my x-axis is x. I've subbed in t=2a/v into d'Alembert's, and got

##u(x, \frac{2a}{v}) = 0.5[u(x+2a,0) + u(x-2a,0)]##

So u(x+2a) = x+3a for -a≤x≤0
u(x-2a) = x-a for -a≤x≤0

Which means that for -a≤x≤0, my u(x) = 0.5(2x+2a) = x+a

Is that the right sort of thing to do? I'm pretty sure it's not, since it takes me back to where I started.I don't know how to make use of that set of conditions for -a≤x≤0 etc.

I'm really confused about how to plot this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
whatisreality said:
My y-axis is going to be labelled u(x) and my x-axis is x. I've subbed in t=2a/v into d'Alembert's, and got

OK

u(x-2a) = x-a for -a≤x≤0

Which means that for -a≤x≤0, my u(x) = 0.5(2x+2a) = x+a

I don't follow what you did here. Recall that if you know the graph of f(x), then you can easily plot the graph of f(x+b) where b is a constant. In this problem, you know the graph of u(x, 0) for all x. So, it should be easy to plot the graphs of u(x+2a, 0) and u(x-2a, 0).

Likes whatisreality
TSny said:
OK

I don't follow what you did here. Recall that if you know the graph of f(x), then you can easily plot the graph of f(x+b) where b is a constant. In this problem, you know the graph of u(x, 0) for all x. So, it should be easy to plot the graphs of u(x+2a, 0) and u(x-2a, 0).

The graph I'm actually plotting is u(x, 2a/v), and I have no idea how that relates to u(x,0).

What I did here:
whatisreality said:

u(x-2a) = x-a for -a≤x≤0

So I'm having to plot ##u(x, \frac{2a}{v}) = 0.5[u(x+2a,0) + u(x-2a,0)]##

Then I tried to work out the values of u(x+2a,0) and u(x-2a,0) to sub into the equation for u(x, 2a/v). I did this using the constraints given: u(x,0) is x+a for -a≤x≤0

I'm working out u(x+2a,0), so I replaced x with x+2a to get u(x+2a,0) is (x+2a)+a for -a≤x≤0, and repeated the same process with (x-2a).

Then u(x, 2a/v) = 0.5[u(x+2a,0) + u(x-2a,0)] = 0.5( x+3a + x-a ) = x+a for -a≤x≤0.

I don't know how to plot y = x+a for -a≤x≤0. Or even if that's what I should be plotting.

whatisreality said:
The graph I'm actually plotting is u(x, 2a/v), and I have no idea how that relates to u(x,0).
Recall, you have ##u(x, \frac{2a}{v}) = 0.5[u(x+2a,0) + u(x-2a,0)]##.

Likes whatisreality
TSny said:
Oh, right, I see. I have trouble plotting u(x,0) in the first place though, which is why I did those calculations. I suppose both ways should give the same answer?

TSny said:
Actually, to be more specific, I have trouble plotting u(x,0) because I'm not sure what

u(x,0) is x+a for -a≤x≤0

means for a graph, for example y=x+a for x between -a and 0? What does that look like? A horizontal line?

whatisreality said:
Actually, to be more specific, I have trouble plotting u(x,0) because I'm not sure what

u(x,0) is x+a for -a≤x≤0

means for a graph, for example.
It means that when x is greater than -a and less than 0, you want to graph the function y = x + a. You can see it's a linear function. So, the graph will be a straight line. What is the value of y at x = -a? What is the value at x = 0?

Likes whatisreality
TSny said:
It means that when x is greater than -a and less than 0, you want to graph the function y = x + a. You can see it's a linear function. So, the graph will be a straight line. What is the value of y at x = -a? What is the value at x = 0?
I can't believe I even wrote that. I can definitely graph y = x+a! But I'd convinced myself I didn't know. It's the graph of y = x translated down by a, so at x = 0 y= -a and at x = 0 y = a. What an incredibly silly thing to do!

Thank you for being very patient and helping!

Last edited:
whatisreality said:
at x = 0 y= -a and at x = 0 y = a.

OK. I guess you meant to type at x = -a, y = 0.

Last edited:
TSny said:
asdfasdfOK. I guess you meant to type at x = -a, y = 0.
Yes, I did. Sorry. Must be a sign, too late at night for maths.

1. What is the 1D wave equation?

The 1D wave equation is a mathematical model that describes the behavior of a wave propagating through a medium in one dimension. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to study phenomena such as sound and light waves.

2. What is d'Alembert's formula?

d'Alembert's formula is a mathematical solution to the 1D wave equation. It is named after the French mathematician Jean le Rond d'Alembert and is used to calculate the displacement of a wave at a specific point in time and space.

3. How is the 1D wave equation plotted using d'Alembert's formula?

To plot the 1D wave equation using d'Alembert's formula, you first need to determine the initial conditions of the wave, such as the initial displacement and velocity. Then, you can use the formula to calculate the displacement at different points in time and space, which can be plotted on a graph.

4. What are the variables in the 1D wave equation and d'Alembert's formula?

The variables in the 1D wave equation and d'Alembert's formula include time (t), position (x), displacement (u), and velocity (v). These variables are used to describe the behavior of the wave as it propagates through the medium.

5. What are some real-life applications of the 1D wave equation and d'Alembert's formula?

The 1D wave equation and d'Alembert's formula have many applications in various fields, such as acoustics, optics, and seismology. They are used to study and predict the behavior of waves in different mediums, which can help in the design and development of technologies such as ultrasound imaging, fiber optics, and earthquake-resistant buildings.