1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plot graph of 1D wave equation (using d'Alembert's formula)

1. Oct 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Don't know if this goes here or in the advanced bit, thought I'd try here first!

I know the general solution of a 1D wave equation is given by d'Alembert's formula

##u(x,t) = 0.5[u(x+vt,0) + u(x-vt,0)] + \frac{1}{2v} \int_{x-vt}^{x+vt} \frac{\partial u}{\partial t}(x,0) \mathrm dx##.

And I've been given that for my particular wave, ##\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}(x,0)## = 0 for all x, so that's nice because I don't have to worry about the integral in d'Alembert's.

I've also been given that u(x,0) is x+a for -a≤x≤0
    and u(x,0) is a-x for 0≤x≤a
    and 0 otherwise.

##a## is a real positive constant.

Plot u(x,t) as a function of x at time t=2a/v.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My y axis is going to be labelled u(x) and my x-axis is x. I've subbed in t=2a/v into d'Alembert's, and got

##u(x, \frac{2a}{v}) = 0.5[u(x+2a,0) + u(x-2a,0)]##

So u(x+2a) = x+3a for -a≤x≤0
    u(x-2a) = x-a for -a≤x≤0

Which means that for -a≤x≤0, my u(x) = 0.5(2x+2a) = x+a

Is that the right sort of thing to do? I'm pretty sure it's not, since it takes me back to where I started.I don't know how to make use of that set of conditions for -a≤x≤0 etc.

I'm really confused about how to plot this.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK

I don't follow what you did here. Recall that if you know the graph of f(x), then you can easily plot the graph of f(x+b) where b is a constant. In this problem, you know the graph of u(x, 0) for all x. So, it should be easy to plot the graphs of u(x+2a, 0) and u(x-2a, 0).

4. Oct 18, 2015 #3
    The graph I'm actually plotting is u(x, 2a/v), and I have no idea how that relates to u(x,0).

What I did here:
    So I'm having to plot ##u(x, \frac{2a}{v}) = 0.5[u(x+2a,0) + u(x-2a,0)]##

Then I tried to work out the values of u(x+2a,0) and u(x-2a,0) to sub into the equation for u(x, 2a/v). I did this using the constraints given: u(x,0) is x+a for -a≤x≤0

I'm working out u(x+2a,0), so I replaced x with x+2a to get u(x+2a,0) is (x+2a)+a for -a≤x≤0, and repeated the same process with (x-2a).

Then u(x, 2a/v) = 0.5[u(x+2a,0) + u(x-2a,0)] = 0.5( x+3a + x-a ) = x+a for -a≤x≤0.

I don't know how to plot y = x+a for -a≤x≤0. Or even if that's what I should be plotting.

5. Oct 18, 2015 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Recall, you have ##u(x, \frac{2a}{v}) = 0.5[u(x+2a,0) + u(x-2a,0)]##.

6. Oct 18, 2015 #5
    Oh, right, I see. I have trouble plotting u(x,0) in the first place though, which is why I did those calculations. I suppose both ways should give the same answer?

7. Oct 18, 2015 #6
    Actually, to be more specific, I have trouble plotting u(x,0) because I'm not sure what

u(x,0) is x+a for -a≤x≤0

means for a graph, for example y=x+a for x between -a and 0? What does that look like? A horizontal line?

8. Oct 18, 2015 #7

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It means that when x is greater than -a and less than 0, you want to graph the function y = x + a. You can see it's a linear function. So, the graph will be a straight line. What is the value of y at x = -a? What is the value at x = 0?

9. Oct 18, 2015 #8
    I can't believe I even wrote that. I can definitely graph y = x+a! But I'd convinced myself I didn't know. It's the graph of y = x translated down by a, so at x = 0 y= -a and at x = 0 y = a. What an incredibly silly thing to do!

Thank you for being very patient and helping!

10. Oct 18, 2015 #9

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK. I guess you meant to type at x = -a, y = 0.

11. Oct 18, 2015 #10
    Yes, I did. Sorry. Must be a sign, too late at night for maths.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted