Damped Coupled Oscillators, Deformations and Energy Lost in Collisions

In summary, the conversation revolves around the request for resources on coupled damped oscillators and the study of deformations, elastic potential energy, and sound characteristics during collisions. Specific equations and examples are mentioned, with a recommendation for a chapter in a textbook as a potential resource. The individual expresses their appreciation for any direct answers or links to papers on the topics.
Sidnv
I'm doing a research project on collisions and I've come across a part of my theory that requires solutions to coupled damped oscillators.

Could anyone please refer me to some text on 2 coupled damped oscillators which isn't extremely math heavy and has conceptual explanations of the solutions?

If it helps the equations of motion are probably the following

d2x1/dt^2 + Yc(dx1/dt - dx2/dt) + wc^2(x1-x2) = 0

d2x2/dt^2 + Ys(dx2/dt) + ws^2(x2) = 0.

Also, can anyone recommend me an extremely elementary level text on deformations, elastic potential energy, pressures and stress/shear that takes place during collisions of two objects.
Eg: Collision of two billiard balls, collision of two rubber balls, collision of billiard ball and floor, collision of rubber ball and floor.
In addition a text on the way in which the sound produced and the different characteristics of sound produced (energy, frequency, amplitude) during such collisions would be greatly helpful. I'm particularly focussing on the energy lost in a collision and the proportion of said energy lost through sound, heat and elastic potential energy(change in shape/structure).

I'd love it if anyone could give me direct answers to my questions but even a link to papers on the above topics would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks,
Sid

Physics news on Phys.org
I can address your first question. Marion, Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems (1970) has a nice chapter on coupled oscillators. It's a standard undergrad text.

Thanks. I'll take a look at that.

1. What is the definition of a damped coupled oscillator?

A damped coupled oscillator is a physical system composed of two or more oscillators that are connected and influence each other's movement. The system is also subject to a damping force, which decreases the amplitude of the oscillations over time.

2. How does energy loss occur in collisions between coupled oscillators?

In collisions between coupled oscillators, energy is lost due to the transfer of kinetic energy to other forms of energy, such as heat or sound. This loss of energy is caused by the deformation and friction of the oscillators, which dissipate the energy as they come into contact with each other.

3. What factors affect the amount of energy lost in collisions between coupled oscillators?

The amount of energy lost in collisions between coupled oscillators depends on several factors, including the mass and velocity of the oscillators, the elasticity of the materials they are made of, and the strength of the damping force acting on the system.

4. How is the energy lost in collisions between coupled oscillators related to the damping coefficient?

The energy lost in collisions between coupled oscillators is directly proportional to the damping coefficient. This means that as the damping coefficient increases, so does the amount of energy lost in each collision. This relationship can be described by the equation: E = kξ², where E is the energy lost, k is a constant, and ξ is the damping coefficient.

5. Can energy be conserved in a system of damped coupled oscillators?

No, energy cannot be conserved in a system of damped coupled oscillators. This is because the presence of a damping force causes energy to be continuously lost from the system, resulting in a decrease in the total energy of the system over time.