Damped harmonic oscillator of spring

In summary, A spring with a spring constant of 30 kg/s^2 is elastically stretched by 10 cm when a force of 3 Newtons is applied. A 2 kg mass is hung from the spring and is also attached to a viscous damper that exerts a restraining force of 3 Newtons when the velocity of the mass is 5 m/sec. An external force time function f(t) (defined as positive upward) is applied to the mass. The differential equation model for u(t), the upward displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position at time t, can be found by applying Newton's second law. This equation is \sum F = ma.
katiandss

Homework Statement

A spring is elastically stretched 10 cm if a force of 3 Newtons is imposed. A 2 kg mass is hung from the spring and is also attached to a viscous damper that exerts a restraining force of 3 Newtons when the velocity of the mass is 5 m/sec. An external force time function f(t) (defined as positive upward) is applied to the mass.

Write down a differential equation model for u(t), the upward displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position at time t.

Homework Equations

Since we are asked for the the differential equation model we are not given any equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've solved for the spring constant k within the first sentence-it is 30 kg/s^2. Since this is actually a math class I'm in...my physics is a little rusty and I need help setting up the model to be able to perform the subsequent operations on it. Help would be appreciated and I would greatly appreciate any explanations as to why it is that equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to apply Newton's second law[tex]\sum F = ma[/tex]

1. What is a damped harmonic oscillator of spring?

A damped harmonic oscillator of spring is a physical system where a mass is attached to a spring and can move back and forth due to the spring's restoring force. The motion of the mass is affected by a damping force, which gradually reduces its amplitude over time.

2. How does a damped harmonic oscillator of spring behave?

A damped harmonic oscillator of spring will oscillate with a decreasing amplitude and frequency until it eventually comes to rest. The amount of damping present determines the rate at which the amplitude and frequency decrease.

3. What is the significance of the damping factor in a damped harmonic oscillator of spring?

The damping factor in a damped harmonic oscillator of spring determines how quickly the amplitude of the oscillations decreases. A larger damping factor means a faster decrease in amplitude and a shorter time for the system to come to rest.

4. How does the damping factor affect the frequency of a damped harmonic oscillator of spring?

The damping factor also affects the frequency of a damped harmonic oscillator of spring. As the damping factor increases, the frequency decreases. This means that the oscillations become slower and take longer to complete one full cycle.

5. What are some real-world examples of damped harmonic oscillators of spring?

Damped harmonic oscillators of spring can be found in many systems, such as car suspensions, shock absorbers, and pendulum clocks. They are also used in musical instruments, such as pianos and guitars, to produce sustained sounds.