Damped Oscillatory motion : Period

In summary, in damped oscillatory motion problems, the period is needed to calculate other quantities such as amplitude. The formula for period can be found using equation 2, but it may vary if the value of ω changes over time. Dividing 2π by ω can also give the period. If given the value of b^2/4m^2, it can be used in equation 1. This information can be found in various sources, such as the given Google search and the linked website.
Bedeirnur

Relevant equations

1)
upload_2015-4-1_0-16-27.png

2) [tex] T = \sqrt{ \frac{m}{k} } [/tex]
3) [tex] T = \frac{2 \pi }{ \omega } [/tex]In some problems about damped oscillatory motion, the requests ask for example "Calculate the amplitude after 20 oscillations"

I know that i need to find the period first of all but :

Do i find the period by using equation number 2? Is that constant? I've seen other threads where they calculated T with (2) and used it for everything but, if we have a different value of \omega overtime, why did we use the initial \omega to find the period?

If i divide 2π by

what do I find? Isn't that the period?

Attachments

• upload_2015-4-1_0-15-26.png
    upload_2015-4-1_0-15-26.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 441
  • upload_2015-4-1_0-15-41.png
    upload_2015-4-1_0-15-41.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 460
  • upload_2015-4-1_0-16-32.png
    upload_2015-4-1_0-16-32.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

What is damped oscillatory motion?

Damped oscillatory motion refers to a type of motion where an object experiences periodic oscillations that decrease in amplitude over time due to the presence of a damping force.

How is damped oscillatory motion different from simple harmonic motion?

Unlike simple harmonic motion, where the amplitude of oscillations remains constant, damped oscillatory motion experiences a decrease in amplitude due to the presence of a damping force.

What is the period of damped oscillatory motion?

The period of damped oscillatory motion is the time it takes for one complete cycle of oscillation, from the starting point to the point where the object returns to its original position and velocity.

What factors affect the period of damped oscillatory motion?

The period of damped oscillatory motion is affected by the mass of the object, the damping coefficient, and the initial conditions such as the amplitude and velocity of the object.

How can the period of damped oscillatory motion be calculated?

The period of damped oscillatory motion can be calculated using the equation T = 2π/ω, where T is the period and ω is the angular frequency. The angular frequency can be calculated using the equation ω = √(k/m - γ²/4m²), where k is the spring constant, m is the mass of the object, and γ is the damping coefficient.