Dark Green Blood In The Operating Theatre

  • Topic: Medical 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Blood Green
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 5K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
8,252
Reaction score
2,666
The unusual case of a man who produced green blood when undergoing a operation is analysed in a Case Report in this week's edition of The Lancet.

Dr Stephan Schwarz and Dr Alana Flexman, Department of Anaesthesia, St Paul's Hospital, The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada and colleagues performed the operation and authored the Case Report. [continued]
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/73473.php
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Wow, that must be very scary, as being the operator. Watching green blood instead of a healthy red is enough to make anyone think twice before continuing.

Interesting case, thanks!.
 
While it is a bit shocking, a hundred years ago people took sulpher as a common cure for several ailments, so green blood has been around for a while. We just are not use to seeing today.
Green blood occurs when a sulphur atom gets incorporated into the oxygen-carrying haemoglobin protein of blood.
 
I thought the only other metal moeity in hemoglobin was copper in the Mollusca... You know - octopus, squid, clams, etc. Interesting.
 
I looked for some reference to a dye being injected that was green in color but did not see such. The sulfur angle is another interesting result of body chemistry.
 
If we get copper instead, wouldn't our blood turn blue?

Blue blood > Green blood.
 
The dark blue blood you are thinking of is because of the protein haemocyanin which is the oxygen carrier in the blood of most molluscs. Its actually colourless when deoxygenated. I'm not sure if there is anything that has naturally green blood.
 
I wish I would get a sample of sulfhemoglobin in the lab...that would be neat to see.
 
Of course the guy could have just been a Vulcan.
 
If I remember correctly, Spiders naturally have blue blood due to having sulphur instead of iron in the haem group.

Green blood, can't think of any, besides the Statue of Liberty, who is turning greener and greener by the moment.