Darts in an Elevator: Adjusting Aim?

• Thread starter DKPeridot20
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the speaker is wondering if they need to adjust their aim while playing darts in a moving elevator. They mention considering aiming higher due to the time the dart spends in the air, but also mention the possibility of not needing to adjust. The other person clarifies that as long as the elevator is moving at a constant speed and the motion is sealed, the dart's motion will be the same as if the elevator was stationary.
DKPeridot20
Hello,
I was wondering, if I was in an elevator and wanted to play darts while ascending, would I have to adjust my aim?

(In some ways I think I ought to aim higher to account for the time the dart spends in the air, but on the other hand I might not need to.) :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as the elevator is moving at a constant speed the motion of the dart will be indistinguishible from the case where the elevator is stationary - provide the motion of the elevator is sealed so as not to cause convection of air inside!

Thank you.

Related to Darts in an Elevator: Adjusting Aim?

1. How do you adjust your aim when throwing darts in an elevator?

To adjust your aim when throwing darts in an elevator, you should consider several factors such as the size and shape of the elevator, the speed and direction of movement, and any potential obstacles. It may also be helpful to practice throwing darts in a stationary elevator to get a feel for how the darts will behave in a moving elevator.

2. What are some tips for improving accuracy when throwing darts in an elevator?

To improve accuracy when throwing darts in an elevator, try to maintain a consistent throwing motion and release point. You should also try to anticipate the movement of the elevator and adjust your aim accordingly. Additionally, practicing in different elevators with varying sizes and speeds can help improve your overall accuracy.

3. Is it safe to throw darts in an elevator?

No, it is not safe to throw darts in an elevator. There is a risk of the darts bouncing back and causing injury to yourself or other passengers. It is important to always follow safety precautions and be aware of your surroundings when playing darts in any setting.

4. What is the best type of dart to use in an elevator?

The best type of dart to use in an elevator is a lightweight dart with a soft tip. This reduces the risk of injury and damage to the elevator and its occupants. It is also important to use darts with a good grip to ensure they do not slip out of your hand during the throw.

5. Are there any rules or regulations for playing darts in an elevator?

There are no specific rules or regulations for playing darts in an elevator, but it is important to follow basic safety guidelines and be considerate of other passengers. It is also a good idea to get permission from the building or elevator owner before playing darts in their property.