Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Data acquisition on torque sensor

1. Mar 2, 2015 #1
    Hello,

I am a new member. I have some question concerning data acquisition on a torque sensor and I hope someone can help me out.

I have a torque sensor that I use to mesure the torque and speed of a motor. The torque sensor outputs an analog signal of +/-5V (torque) and two digital signals TTL 5V(speed). I need to choose a data acquisition device to acquire the analog and digital signals of this torque sensor but I don't really know the specification to look for when choosing the right device. The torque sensor is able to take 10000 mesure of torque value per second (10kHz). With this information, should I choose a device with a sample rate larger than 10kHz or smaller? Why is that so?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If you want to get the full information of the sensor, you'll need at least 10 kHz. Depending on the application, you might be able to get away with a lower sampling rate. What do you want to do?

4. Mar 2, 2015 #3
    Actually, I am working on a test bench to characterize electric motor. The test bench is used to find out the values of inductance, resistance, rotor inertia, torque and speed of any three phase brushless motor mounted on the test bench. On the test bench, there is an electromagnetic brake to supply load torque, a torque sensor in the middle and at the other end a brushless motor, three of them aligned together. I have to use labview to control the electric motor and the brake as well, and then acquire the signals from the torque sensor where the data is then to be sorted out to generate graphs (Torque=f(Speed), Current=f(Speed), Current=f(Torque) etc). Since the test bench is incomplete, I have to find a data acquisition device as as interface between the torque sensor and the labview program.

I rather new in the field of electronic and I haven't studied signal processing before that's why all these frequency and data acquisition stuff seems kinda complicated to me. I hope you can help me out in this matter.

5. Mar 2, 2015 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

If you want to get all the information from that sensor, you will need to sample at twice the bandwidth, so 20kHz. You can read why here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist_frequency :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook