Data logger for static charge meter

In summary, the conversation is about using a data logger to save and monitor the analog output from a static charge meter. The Keyence SK-1000 meter has two small cables for analog output, with a range of values from -5 to +5V. The person is considering using the Pico ADC24 or ADC-20 data loggers from Farnell, but is unsure if they are suitable for the static charge meter. They also mention using the PICO TC-08 thermocouple data logger with a single channel terminal board as a potential alternative. The conversation ends with a suggestion to also consider the Dataq DI-1120 data logger, which has multiple channels and a range of input options.
RobertWW
Hello,
I have just bought the static charge meter, Keyence SK-1000.
Analog output is sent through two small cables denoted as:
1. Analog output (surface potential).
2. Analog output GND.
The analog output can be set to one of the following values: NONE (OFF), -5 to +5V, 0V to 5V, 1V to 5V, 4mA to 20mA.

I am looking for the data logger (with software) for data saving (on the PC) generated from analog output of the static charge meter.
I had came across this kind of data loggers at Farnell:
http://ie.farnell.com/pico-technology/adc-24/datalogger-hi-res-with-terminal/dp/1076339
http://ie.farnell.com/pico-technology/adc-20/datalogger-hi-res-with-terminal/dp/1076338
However, I am not sure whether these loggers are actually ok for the acquired static charge meter. I checked the specs of these loggers and they seem to be ok, particularly the logger from the first link- PICO ADC24 (I attached the spec, most interesting data is on page 3).

Could you advice whether the logger from the first link would do the job, please?

P.S. From data loggers I have only PICO TC-08 but this device is apparently for thermocouple connection only.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Data logger PICO ADC24.pdf
    139.5 KB · Views: 346
Engineering news on Phys.org
Likes Asymptotic
The Pico ADC24 data logger has a maximum input voltage of 2.5V with an input impedance spec of 2 megohm when configured an input channel as true differential, and 1 megohm when used single-ended.

A voltage divider would be required to use this logger, for instance, for a 5V output, a 10K and 9.1K resistor in series with voltage across the 9.1K resistor fed into the logger. Two 10K resistor in series would chop voltage in half - to the 2.5V input max - but using a 9.1K brings this down to about 2.38V and provides some headroom.

@Tom.G 's Dataq suggestion is a good one. I've used one of their older, RS232 serial communication based starter kits ($50) and was generally impressed. Take a look at their model DI-1120 for $178. 4 channels (14 bit), 2,5,10,20,50 and 100V analog input range scales, (7) digital points that can be set up as inputs or outputs, and it comes with a copy of their WinDaq software for configuration and logging.

Keep in mind that the cable between meter and logger is likely to get hit with electrostatic discharge. Depending on what you are measuring, it may be prudent to add transorbs (TVS diodes) from each active + and - signal line to Earth ground, and a jumper across each unused channel input (forcing them to 0V) to reduce the possibility of logger circuit damage.

@Tom.G Asymptotic
Thanks for your feedback. The suggested Dataq logger is very interesting. I emailed the supplier.
In the meantime, I had found the terminal board:
http://www.lambdaphoto.co.uk/pico-technology-pr121-usb-tc-08-single-channel-terminal-board.html
The PICO TC-08 thermocouple data logger, which I have, used along with the single channel terminal board can be used to effectively log the signals from other than thermocouple sensors. It accepts input in V or mA. I will check it first.

1. What is a data logger for static charge meter?

A data logger for static charge meter is a device that is used to measure and record static electricity levels in a given area. It collects and stores data over a period of time, allowing for analysis and monitoring of static charge levels.

2. How does a data logger for static charge meter work?

The data logger for static charge meter works by using sensors to measure the amount of static electricity present in the surrounding area. This data is then recorded and stored in the device's memory, and can be retrieved for analysis at a later time.

3. What are the main features of a data logger for static charge meter?

The main features of a data logger for static charge meter include multiple sensor inputs, real-time data logging, customizable recording intervals, and the ability to export data for further analysis. Some models may also have wireless connectivity and remote monitoring capabilities.

4. How is a data logger for static charge meter used in scientific research?

Data loggers for static charge meter are commonly used in scientific research to study and monitor the effects of static electricity on various materials and environments. They can also be used to understand the impact of static charge on electronic devices and systems.

5. Are data loggers for static charge meter easy to use?

Yes, data loggers for static charge meter are designed to be user-friendly and easy to operate. They typically come with a user manual and can be easily set up and programmed for specific recording needs. Some models may also have a user-friendly interface for data analysis and visualization.