Data to derive Hubble's constant

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding a modern value for Hubble's constant using measurements of redshift and distance. The speaker asked for a source with usable data and was provided with two options. The data from the second source was used to calculate a value of 67,346 (km/s)/Mpc for the Hubble constant.
Bojje
Hello.

I am in the middle of a paper on Hubble's law and the Friedman equations, I would like to show that with modern measurements of redshift (or λ') and distance, one can use these to find a modern value of Hubble's constant. I however need some data to do this, so does anybody know of a source where I can find usable measurements of redshift(or λ') and distance to different galaxies?

Thanks for your time.

Space news on Phys.org

1. What is Hubble's constant?

Hubble's constant is a measurement of the rate at which the universe is expanding. It is denoted by the symbol H0 and has a value of approximately 70 km/s per megaparsec.

2. How is Hubble's constant calculated using data?

Hubble's constant is calculated by measuring the redshift of galaxies and determining their distance from us. The redshift is a result of the Doppler effect, which occurs as the galaxies move away from us due to the expansion of the universe. By plotting the distance of the galaxies against their redshift, we can calculate the slope of the line, which is equal to Hubble's constant.

3. What kind of data is needed to derive Hubble's constant?

The main data needed to derive Hubble's constant is the redshift and distance of galaxies. This can be obtained through observations using telescopes, as well as data from previous studies and surveys. Other data, such as the age of the universe and the matter density, may also be used in conjunction with the redshift and distance data.

4. Why is Hubble's constant important in cosmology?

Hubble's constant is important in cosmology because it provides a key measurement for understanding the fundamental properties of the universe, such as its age, size, and expansion rate. It also helps in studying the evolution of the universe and the role of dark energy in its expansion.

5. How has the value of Hubble's constant changed over time?

The value of Hubble's constant has been refined and revised over time as new data and improved measurement techniques have become available. Initially, it was estimated to be around 500 km/s per megaparsec, but it has been gradually reduced to its current value of approximately 70 km/s per megaparsec.