What is the role of voids in the Hubble tension?

In summary: I'm sorry, I did not understand what you were trying to say. Could you please clarify?I'm sorry, I did not understand what you were trying to say. Could you please clarify?
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
It has been proposed the Hubble tension can be solved if we assume our galaxy is located in a giant void (such as KBC). I am confused at this point. If we were living in a giant void, we should have measured the Hubble constant lower. Since when the light passes an underdense region it gets less redshifted. Less redshift means less expansion or lower Hubble constant right? But we are measuring it higher. So shouldn't we live in a more dense region rather than an underdense region, to explain the discrepancy? What am I missing here?

Space news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:
It has been proposed the Hubble tension can be solved if we assume our galaxy is located in a giant void (such as KBC). I am confused at this point. If we were living in a giant void, we should have measured the Hubble constant lower. Since when the light passes an underdense region it gets less redshifted. Less redshift means less expansion or lower Hubble constant right? But we are measuring it higher. So shouldn't we live in a more dense region rather than an underdense region, to explain the discrepancy? What am I missing here?
I think what you are missing is that areas are either expanding or are not expanding so there either IS redshift or there is NOT redshift, not more redshift or less redshift . Relatively dense areas such as galactic clusters are not expanding and areas between galactic cluster are expanding. In measuring red shifts of distant galaxies, this has no effect since most areas on galactic scales are low density and anyway it all averages out.

Also, your statement "Since when the light passes an underdense region it gets less redshifted" is backwards.

Arman777 said:
Since when the light passes an underdense region it gets less redshifted. Less redshift means less expansion or lower Hubble constant right? But we are measuring it higher. So shouldn't we live in a more dense region rather than an underdense region, to explain the discrepancy? What am I missing here?
I think you are missing that if light travels into an underdense region it arrives there with a tiny additional gravitational redshift, because light looses energy if it escapes from an overdense region.

Its the other way round if light enters an overdense region like a supercluster of galaxies. First it it gets blueshifted and then, leaving the cluster it gets redshifted. In this case the net effect is a slight blueshift corresponding to the participation of the supercluster in the expansion of the universe.

timmdeeg said:
with a tiny additional gravitational redshift,
why this the case ? I mean why they are not cancel each other out and become 0 ?

phinds said:
I think what you are missing is that areas are either expanding or are not expanding so there either IS redshift or there is NOT redshift, not more redshift or less redshift . Relatively dense areas such as galactic clusters are not expanding and areas between galactic cluster are expanding. In measuring red shifts of distant galaxies, this has no effect since most areas on galactic scales are low density and anyway it all averages out.
I did not quite understand. You mean it does not matter where we are located ?

Arman777 said:
I did not quite understand. You mean it does not matter where we are located ?
In measuring the redshift of distant galaxies, yes that's what I mean. That is consistent with the Cosmological Principle.

Arman777 said:
why this the case ? I mean why they are not cancel each other out and become 0 ?
Why should they cancel? If we are in a giant void we measure photons coming from outside the void direction-independent slightly redshifted compared to a measurement in a region where we are not in a void.

timmdeeg said:
Why should they cancel? If we are in a giant void we measure photons coming from outside the void direction-independent slightly redshifted compared to a measurement in a region where we are not in a void.
I think his point is this: if a photon is coming into a galactic cluster it gets a slight gravitational boost (blue shifting) due to the gravity of the cluster as it comes in. As it goes out, it is retarded (red shifted) by an equal amount, so why would those not be equal amounts?

Likes Arman777
phinds said:
I think his point is this: if a photon is coming into a galactic cluster it gets a slight gravitational boost (blue shifting) due to the gravity of the cluster as it comes in. As it goes out, it is retarded (red shifted) by an equal amount, so why would those not be equal amounts?
Yes exactly

Arman777 said:
Yes exactly
Thanks @phinds for communication.
Well but I mentioned "a tiny additional gravitational redshift " in post #3 regarding the void scenario.

In the supercluster scenario there results a very tiny blueshift as net effect (after the photon has left the cluster) as mentioned. Within the cluster we would measure a blueshift instead of a redshift within a void. This was just a counterexample but unfortunately caused some confusion.

@Arman777 can you please clarify to which scenario your question in post #4 refers to?

Well let's have a normal dense region. Like a normal potential well then we enter a void which is an underdense region. So at first the redshift increases by an amount of ##\Delta z##. And when its coming out of the void the light gets blueshifted by the same amount ##\Delta z##. So I thought the net effect should be zero.

However I guess when the light is coming towards us its getting redshifted indeed but its not coming out. So it will stay as redshifted.

Arman777 said:
Well let's have a normal dense region. Like a normal potential well then we enter a void which is an underdense region. So at first the redshift increases by an amount of ##\Delta z##. And when its coming out of the void the light gets blueshifted by the same amount ##\Delta z##. So I thought the net effect should be zero.

However I guess when the light is coming towards us its getting redshifted indeed but its not coming out. So it will stay as redshifted.
Yes within the void we measure it redshifted. If it "gets blueshifted by the same amount ##\Delta z##" coming out depends on the influence of the expansion of the universe on the void. If the void grows in size during the photon is passing through then its not the same amount ##\Delta z## but a little less, so the net effect is a tiny redshift. In other words it gains less energy coming out than it looses coming in.

Likes Arman777

1. What are voids in the universe?

Voids are large, empty regions in the universe where there is a significantly lower density of galaxies and matter compared to the surrounding areas. They can range in size from a few million to hundreds of millions of light years in diameter.

2. How are voids detected?

Voids are detected by studying the distribution of galaxies in the universe. Astronomers use telescopes to map out the positions and distances of galaxies, and then identify regions with a lower galaxy density as voids.

3. What is the Hubble Constant?

The Hubble Constant is a measure of the rate at which the universe is expanding. It is named after astronomer Edwin Hubble, who first discovered that galaxies are moving away from each other at a speed proportional to their distance. The Hubble Constant is currently estimated to be around 70 km/s/Mpc.

4. How are voids related to the Hubble Constant?

Voids can affect the measurement of the Hubble Constant because they can cause a distortion in the observed expansion rate of the universe. This is because the presence of voids can make it appear as though galaxies are moving away from us at a slower rate than they actually are.

5. What is the significance of studying voids and the Hubble Constant?

Studying voids and the Hubble Constant can help us better understand the structure and evolution of the universe. It can also provide insights into the nature of dark energy, the mysterious force believed to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe.