David Blaine - 17 min breath hold

• Thread starter Alfi
  • Start date
In summary, David Blaine set a new world record for holding his breath for 17 minutes and 4 seconds on the Oprah show, but some people are skeptical due to his background as a magician. However, it is possible for a person to hold their breath for such a long time with proper training and techniques, as demonstrated by Blaine and other free divers. Whether or not there was any trickery involved is still up for debate.
Alfi
Is it physically possible to hold a breath that long?

and live?

David Blaine sets new record on Oprah. 17 min 4 secs.

I'm skeptical.

Physics news on Phys.org
If he wasn't known for his magic and his illusions, I would have less doubt.

17 min is a long time.
I've read up and it sure as hell seems legit, but I , ... damn that's a long time.

Alfi said:
If he wasn't known for his magic and his illusions, I would have less doubt.

17 min is a long time.
I've read up and it sure as hell seems legit, but I , ... damn that's a long time.

I was very doubtful at first, also because he is a magician. But it seems that this is not his first attempt at all. Besides, you must realize that he took pure oxigen for about half an hour before. So this does not compare to other records without such pure oxygen taking, which are limited to less than 8 minutes (different world record).

This audio clip is really interesting, it's Penn and Chris Angel discussing Blaine.
http://www.pennfans.net/radio_show_archive/The.Penn.Jillette.Radio.Show.2006.05.08.mp3

sadly the link leads to nothing connected to Blaine or I missed it.

Alfi said:
sadly the link leads to nothing connected to Blaine or I missed it.

http://www.pennfans.net/view/Audio_Archive/PennRadio/The.Penn.Jillette.Radio.Show.2006.05.08/

then click download mp3 at the bottom

got it
Thank you. long listen. I tried to hold my breath. :)

Stupid retard! hehehe said with respect. LOL
Slightly off the topic, but nice background to the person.
I like his street stuff but

can a human do this? Is it real or illusion? 17 min is a very long time.

Well, several people have mananged more than 16 minutes in the past (mostly free divers, they tend to be very good at holding their breath), so 17 minutes is presumably also possible.
My guess is that someone will break this record within the next few months.

Chris Angel says it's fake. Claims he did the trick several years ago and "held" his breath for 24hrs.

It is difficult to fake something if there are observers with you on the stage. Anyway, Blaine is known for doing real stunts. I believe he did this. Here's a link that discusses it: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1736834,00.html

People, if you have a thin tube threaded up your anus and and up your digestive tract and pushed down into your lungs, you can probably stay underwater for a very long time, as long as you're getting a steady supply of oxygen. I suspect trickery, not physical capability.

Considering that 5 min without breathing is the generally accepted cut off for high risk of brain death, 17 min without some trick seems highly implausible. David Blaine is a well-known illusionist, so there probably is some sort of trick to this (though I'm giving a big "ICK" to turbo's suggestion :rofl:). I tried watching for any signs of movement in the video clip, but it was rather short to determine (how many times did he raise his arms? I'm wondering if that was a cover for taking a breath).

Can those claiming that others have reached 16 min before support that with any sort of credible reference?

i once held my breath for 30 seconds in our local swimming pool...so maybe he did do it...YEH GO DAVID GO DAVID!

Moonbear said:
Can those claiming that others have reached 16 min before support that with any sort of credible reference?

I am not sure how credible it is, but one example:
http://www.apneamania.com/code/worldrec_main.asp?typeID=spr&specID=amap

The discipline is known as "static apnea with pure oxygen". I saw a documentary about the former world record holder, Peter Colat, on Discovery a while back (at least I think it was him). Note that most of these guys are not "normal", their ability to hold their breath being a combination of genetics and a lot of training; meaning it is hard to say what is really plausible.
The record is without oxygen is over 9 minutes which for normal people would probably cause permanent brain damage.

For the record: In my view these guys are all crazy.

Edit: Using Google Scholar I found this paper (free access)
http://archive.rubicon-foundation.org/dspace/bitstream/123456789/5016/1/16602257.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Crazy ! hehehe - sure, for a given value of crazy.

So, some say fake, some say plausible.

Can a definitive answer be determined?
Does illusion fake out physiology? And the World record people?

I didn't watch. I figured cameras would be nothing more than adding to the illusion.
Or stunt.
but what was it?

Moonbear said:
Considering that 5 min without breathing is the generally accepted cut off for high risk of brain death, 17 min without some trick seems highly implausible. David Blaine is a well-known illusionist, so there probably is some sort of trick to this (though I'm giving a big "ICK" to turbo's suggestion :rofl:). I tried watching for any signs of movement in the video clip, but it was rather short to determine (how many times did he raise his arms? I'm wondering if that was a cover for taking a breath).

You raise an interesting point there MB. Okay, I am going to make an attempt to be a biologist, but forgive me if it goes horribly wrong! :blushing:

Would inhaling pure oxygen for half an hour alter the concentration of haemoglobin in the blood, or is this too short a period, maybe I am missing the point of the pure oxygen!? If so then would this not increase his ability to hold his breath? Surely training at high altitudes, which is known to increase the haemoglobin concentration also play a vital role in holding your breath? Is this not what some top athletes do?

Anyway, that aside, I have sound an interesting link. It goes over how to hold your breath for long times, using Blaine as an example. it also says that it is not uncommon for people to hold their breath over the 5 minutes you have said!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4964488.stm" [Broken]

_Mayday_

Moonbear said:
Considering that 5 min without breathing is the generally accepted cut off for high risk of brain death, 17 min without some trick seems highly implausible.

That isn't true at all. The "5 minute" figure is in reference to the oxygen supply being cut off from the brain, such as when the heart stops beating. Just because someone is holding their breath doesn't mean their brain is being deprived of oxygen. If that were true, you'd pass out within 2 or 3 seconds of holding your breath.

I'd say that 17 minutes is certainly possible, and every bit as impressive.

Holocene said:
That isn't true at all. The "5 minute" figure is in reference to the oxygen supply being cut off from the brain, such as when the heart stops beating.

No, it's not from when the heart stops beating, but from when breathing ceases...for example, time underwater in a drowning case. Granted, there may be some leeway for air in the lungs vs lungs depleted of air, but it does not require the heart be stopped.

As I already posted, if someone has credible evidence from a source other than an illusionist that it's possible to hold one's breath that long and survive, they need to provide it, otherwise the default is that it is an illusion. If you ask me, his hair doesn't even look wet upon emerging from the water (at least not until he tips his head back an extra time to wet it on the surface water). For all we know, that sphere he was in was designed to disort and hide the fact that he was in an air pocket in the middle.

Moonbear said:
No, it's not from when the heart stops beating, but from when breathing ceases.

You can't be serious. If the heart isn't beating, how do you expect oxygenated blood to reach the brain?

Holocene said:
You can't be serious. If the heart isn't beating, how do you expect oxygenated blood to reach the brain?

Of course if the heart isn't beating, oxygenated blood isn't reaching the brain...that's not the point I was making. You were arguing that the heart not beating is the requirement...I'm pointing out that NOT BREATHING is sufficient, it doesn't require going so far as the heart not beating. If the heart is not beating, it's a given that breathing is not occurring, but the converse is not true. One can cease breathing while the heart continues to beat, yet the blood is not being oxygenated, so while blood is reaching the brain, oxygen is not.

_Mayday_ said:
Would inhaling pure oxygen for half an hour alter the concentration of haemoglobin in the blood, or is this too short a period, maybe I am missing the point of the pure oxygen!? If so then would this not increase his ability to hold his breath?

I think that what happens when you inhale pure oxygen for a certain time is that you saturate all of your tissues with oxygen. It might be that the stock of oxygen so accumulated can slowly get back in the blood during the dive.

I can assure you that breathing pure oxygen for a few minutes really gives you the ability to hold your breath "comfortably" for a longer time than usual, as long ago I tried this. As to whether this is just a suppression of your urge to breathe, or gives you the ability to keep it out any longer, I don't know.

Also, the problem I have with this kind of stunt, is: where does the CO2 go ?

I strongly doubt that he legitimately held his breath for over 17 minutes. Navy Seals cannot come close to 17 minutes and they have incredibly rigorous training.

Maybe he used something like perfluorodecalin. (look for images and you can find a mouse breathing in the liquid)

Honestly, 17 minutes is way too long and we have to remember that he is a magician.

C3H5N3O9 said:
I strongly doubt that he legitimately held his breath for over 17 minutes. Navy Seals cannot come close to 17 minutes and they have incredibly rigorous training.

Maybe he used something like perfluorodecalin. (look for images and you can find a mouse breathing in the liquid)

Honestly, 17 minutes is way too long and we have to remember that he is a magician.

I know what youre referring to, I've seen that video of the mouse on the Science channel :) The thing about that however is that I remember the mouse having to take rather strong breaths to force the liquid into and out of its lungs. If that was the case here wouldn't we see his diaphragm working extra hard?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Chris Angel says it's fake. Claims he did the trick several years ago and "held" his breath for 24hrs.

Chris Angel. :rolleyes:

He's the one that is fake. Full of camera tricks and actors. :rolleyes: So obvious half of the time. :rolleyes:

vanesch said:
I think that what happens when you inhale pure oxygen for a certain time is that you saturate all of your tissues with oxygen. It might be that the stock of oxygen so accumulated can slowly get back in the blood during the dive.

I can assure you that breathing pure oxygen for a few minutes really gives you the ability to hold your breath "comfortably" for a longer time than usual, as long ago I tried this. As to whether this is just a suppression of your urge to breathe, or gives you the ability to keep it out any longer, I don't know.

Also, the problem I have with this kind of stunt, is: where does the CO2 go ?

Sounds like you're trying to downplay the stunt. Even with a half hour worth of pure oxygen, I'd like to see an average person hold their breath for more than 5 minutes, which I know won't happen. Nevermind 17 minutes! Please. :rolleyes:

I would love to see a poll on this. How long can you hold your breath? But I don't know how to create one. Anyone?

Slow Down, There

if an average person merely hyperventilates for a few minutes, blowing off CO2 and hyperoxygenating their blood (although the accumulation of CO2 is the vital factor here), they will find they can EASILY hold their breath for five minutes, or a little more--- and that's with no pure oxygen at all!

Alfi said:
Is it physically possible to hold a breath that long?

and live?

David Blaine sets new record on Oprah. 17 min 4 secs.

I'm skeptical.

I was only skeptical. We have a very diverse group here and the hope was that someone
would know something about the topic.

It's not an issue worth arguing about my friends.
It's just an illusion or a stunt. And a pretty good one too, either way. :)

Well, isn't this the same mister Blaine that fasted for forty days and forty nights without eating? Hmm maybe he knows a little bit more about time dilation than we do:rolleyes:

Ok seriouslys speaking, two things occurred to me:
  • If he was faking it, why chose 17 minutes? Perhaps whatever mechanism he used could only last for about that time.
  • Secondly, I was just wondering, if the sphere was spinning would that have any effect on the the oxeygen concentrations or anything else within for that matter? I'm thinking something in the line of the coriolis force causing a parabola that would create some sort of air gap . . .

Yup just speculating :)

Ok, I just tried this. Hyperventilating for 1 min beforehand, I was able to hold my breath for 2:30 (min:sec) It felt like I probably could have endured the pain and gone to 2:40 or 2:50 if I really pushed it (I stopped when i "made it" to the 30 sec mark). Also, not hyperventilating got me 1:35.

I think with some breathing training, more hyperventilation, and being in better shape, I could get 4 mins no problem. I have no reason to doubt that trained divers could hold their breath for more than 5 minutes. What's more, there apparently is solid evidence that people have indeed held their breath for that long with no permanent damage.

Now as for the 17 minute record, that is out there, but with blood saturated with pure oxygen, training at high altitude for a couple months, and some good genetics, I could believe it.

Last edited:
I started out skeptical and I still am.
But since no one has convinced me that it can't be done,
and no one has shown any evidence for clever contraptions or smoke and mirrors,

I will bend to seeing is believing.

Well Done David.

I agree with Alfi--- I think this is within the realm of possibility, at least. Maze's experiment establishes the effect, and do keep in mind it would be much more pronounced with pure oxygen. As I understand it, saturating the blood with oxygen is only one part of it (and I've read some who say the less-significant part)--- the bigger thing is blowing off CO2 to delay its buildup as long as possible.

Divers who do mixed-air diving breathe pure oxygen at various depths on their ascent--- not for the sake of the oxygen itself, but to safely rid themselves of nitrogen so they can surface again without having to enter a decompression chamber.

The materials I read claimed that it is CO2 buildup that causes the "hunger" to breathe we all feel, not oxygen starvation.

Just as Alfi said, well done, Mr. Blaine-- especially for apparently choosing something that seems impossible, but is just good science.

maze said:
Ok, I just tried this.

What you should do now is to see how long you can go after exhaling before you inhale and see how long you can stretch out the inhale. Perhaps you may be able to slowly inhale for 5 minutes and hold your breath for 5 more.

<h2>1. How did David Blaine manage to hold his breath for 17 minutes?</h2><p>David Blaine is an expert in breath control and has trained extensively to increase his lung capacity and tolerance to high levels of carbon dioxide in his body. He also uses a technique called "lung packing" where he takes in a large amount of air before submerging himself, giving him more oxygen to work with during the breath hold.</p><h2>2. Is it safe to hold your breath for that long?</h2><p>Holding your breath for extended periods of time can be dangerous and should not be attempted without proper training and supervision. David Blaine has trained his body to handle the stress of a long breath hold and has medical professionals present during his stunts.</p><h2>3. How does David Blaine avoid passing out during the breath hold?</h2><p>David Blaine has trained his body to withstand high levels of carbon dioxide by gradually increasing his breath hold time over a period of months. He also uses relaxation techniques and meditation to keep his heart rate and oxygen consumption low during the breath hold.</p><h2>4. What are the physical effects of holding your breath for 17 minutes?</h2><p>Holding your breath for extended periods of time can cause a decrease in heart rate, blood pressure, and oxygen levels in the body. It can also lead to dizziness, confusion, and even loss of consciousness if not done safely and with proper training.</p><h2>5. Can anyone learn to hold their breath for 17 minutes like David Blaine?</h2><p>While it is possible for some individuals to train their bodies to hold their breath for extended periods of time, it is not recommended for everyone. It takes a lot of dedication, training, and supervision to safely achieve a long breath hold like David Blaine's. It is important to consult with a medical professional before attempting any breath hold stunts.</p>

1. How did David Blaine manage to hold his breath for 17 minutes?

David Blaine is an expert in breath control and has trained extensively to increase his lung capacity and tolerance to high levels of carbon dioxide in his body. He also uses a technique called "lung packing" where he takes in a large amount of air before submerging himself, giving him more oxygen to work with during the breath hold.

2. Is it safe to hold your breath for that long?

Holding your breath for extended periods of time can be dangerous and should not be attempted without proper training and supervision. David Blaine has trained his body to handle the stress of a long breath hold and has medical professionals present during his stunts.

3. How does David Blaine avoid passing out during the breath hold?

David Blaine has trained his body to withstand high levels of carbon dioxide by gradually increasing his breath hold time over a period of months. He also uses relaxation techniques and meditation to keep his heart rate and oxygen consumption low during the breath hold.

4. What are the physical effects of holding your breath for 17 minutes?

Holding your breath for extended periods of time can cause a decrease in heart rate, blood pressure, and oxygen levels in the body. It can also lead to dizziness, confusion, and even loss of consciousness if not done safely and with proper training.

5. Can anyone learn to hold their breath for 17 minutes like David Blaine?

While it is possible for some individuals to train their bodies to hold their breath for extended periods of time, it is not recommended for everyone. It takes a lot of dedication, training, and supervision to safely achieve a long breath hold like David Blaine's. It is important to consult with a medical professional before attempting any breath hold stunts.