Can I buy pre-made balun transformers for a double balanced ring diode mixer?

In summary, Dave is looking to purchase a pair of audio frequency baluns to help with his RF mixer design. He is unsure of which one to purchase, as they are available at all popular frequencies and are very affordable. He recommends either the Bourns RF pdf or the Coilcraft CPS pdf.
perplexabot
Gold Member
Hi all. I started a thread a while back about RF mixer design. I didn't know what to do or what design to choose. You guys laid some options for me and after some research and time I have finally decided that I will go for a double balanced, ring diode topology. Here is a schematic from google:
Image131.gif

So I think I get the general idea of the circuit and I am ready to simulate it and build it. I am wondering about one thing though, the two balun transformers... Is it possible to buy them already made? If so, how do I choose what I need? I would hate having to wind them myself as my hands do not allow me to undertake such delicate work.

Thank you PF.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends on the frequency you are working at (for the cost) but I think they are available at all popular frequencies and would probably work better than a home made version (coil winding is pretty skilled and balance is important).
See these links
1, 2, and many others.

Likes 1 person
I agree with sophiecentaur

These things are built in a tiny metal box 1" x .5" x .5" and cost peanuts. You would never be able to achieve anywhere near the performance that a commercial one would give you.
You would be better off putting your efforts to other parts of the RF circuits
The SBL- 1 ( and SBL-1X) is a wideband mixer I have used often over the years
Have also used a variety of others that cover other frequency ranges

cheers
Dave

Likes 1 person
Thank you guys for your great replies. After looking at the links you have provided, I found some baluns that have the frequency range that I am looking for. I will be ordering a pair soon.

EDIT1: I think I will get this one: http://www.coilcraft-cps.com/pdf/ae458rfw.pdf OR http://www.bourns.com/pdfs/RF.pdf

EDIT2: Sorry for the multiple edits...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have played with audio frequency baluns and mixers. Good fun: Ex terrrrrminate! (Dr Who / Dalek, quote, for people not in the UK)

Likes 1 person

1. What is "DBM: Ring Diode Topology"?

DBM stands for Double Balanced Mixer, and it is a type of mixer circuit used in radio frequency (RF) communication systems. The "Ring Diode Topology" refers to the specific design of the circuit, which uses ring diodes to achieve the desired mixing function.

2. How does DBM: Ring Diode Topology work?

The DBM: Ring Diode Topology works by combining two input signals, typically a local oscillator (LO) signal and a radio frequency (RF) signal, using a ring diode structure. The ring diodes act as switches, allowing the signals to mix and create new frequencies.

3. What are the advantages of using DBM: Ring Diode Topology?

One of the main advantages of using DBM: Ring Diode Topology is its ability to provide high isolation between the input and output signals. This helps to reduce interference and improve the overall performance of the circuit. Additionally, the ring diode design allows for a wider operating frequency range and better linearity compared to other mixer topologies.

4. What are the applications of DBM: Ring Diode Topology?

DBM: Ring Diode Topology is commonly used in RF communication systems, such as in satellite and microwave communication, radar systems, and wireless networks. It is also used in instrumentation and test equipment for signal analysis and frequency conversion.

5. How does DBM: Ring Diode Topology compare to other mixer topologies?

Compared to other mixer topologies, such as single and double balanced mixers, DBM: Ring Diode Topology typically offers higher isolation, better linearity, and wider frequency range. However, it may have higher insertion loss and require more complex control circuitry. The choice of mixer topology depends on the specific application and performance requirements.