1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DC motor problem

1. Jan 13, 2014 #1
    People of physics forum
    i have come here to ask for help.
    i am trying to model a armature controlled dc motor with no load but and opposite force in the form of frictional damping

the expression i have raised and am assuming it to be right is

ωout/Vin = k/(L(s)+R)(I(s)+C)+ kt.k

where K,kt are constants
    L inductance
    I inertia

R resistance armature circuit
    C damping

the reference voltage is 25 volts. i really need i think a partial fraction expansion of this to allow me to do the inverse laplace transform

any body out there can you help me please?

thanks people. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2014 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What does "kt.k" mean? Is it kt multiplied by k which you can write as (kt)(k)?

Ω(s)/V(s) = k/[(sL+R)(sI+C)+ (kt)(k)] ?

The denominator is a second-order response. I would put in numbers to determine if this is an over- or under-damped system , then use Laplace tables. If you use partial fraction expansion that is OK but you'd better know how to handle the complex fractions.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  4. Jan 13, 2014 #3
    Hey rude man, thanks for getting back

Yes you are correct k and Kt and yes they can be expressed in the form you have shown. They relate to the properties and generated emf. I think but am not sure that they are possible the time constant for the circuit the "Tau" value any ideas?

5. Jan 13, 2014 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

k*Kt would have to have dimension = T (time). But if your denominator is consistent, k*Kt has the dimensions RIT-1 = RMLT-1.

Anyway, if you believe your transfer function is correct, why are you speculating about a time constant? Do you have numbers for K and Kt including their units?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted