Calculating Power Loss and Input for a Permanent Magnet DC Motor

In summary, a permanent magnet DC motor with an armature resistance of 0.4 Ohms was given a voltage of 110 V, resulting in a steady-state speed of rotation of 126 rad/s and drawing 39 A. The power loss in the armature was calculated to be 609 W, while the power input to the motor was found to be 4290 W. The motor constant, Km, was also calculated to be 0.749 Vs.
Name15

Homework Statement

A permanent magnet DC motor has an armature resistance of 0.4 Ohms. When a voltage of 110 V is applied to the motor it reaches a steady-state speed of rotation of 126 rad/s and draws 39 A.
(a) Find the power loss in the armature
(b) the power input to the motor

I really don't know what I'm doing. I just used the equations I already know. What is the significance of steady state speed being reached? What do i do with the 126 rad/s?

Homework Equations

P=IV (power = current x voltage)
P=(I^2)(R) (power = current squared x resistance)

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) P = (39^2) x (0.4) = 608.4 W
(b) P = 39 x 110 = 4290 W

Likes Hesch
Physics news on Phys.org
Name15 said:
What is the significance of steady state speed being reached?
The armature current will be steady, thus the self induction of the armature can be ignored.
Name15 said:
What do i do with the 126 rad/s?
The motor constant, Km, can be calculated.
Back EMF = 110V - 39A * 0.4Ω = 94.4V →
Km = 94.4V / 126 rad/s = 0.749 Vs.
You are just not asked about that, but maybe the the missing questions could be:

c) Find the steady state torque at 100 rad/s
d) Find the steady state current at 100 rad/s

Hi, thanks for your help!
But why would I find Torque and current at 100 rad/s and not 126 rad/s?
Continuing from your calculations: I find Torque = (0.749 Vs)x(39A) = 29.2 Nm. So using P=Tw; Power = 29.2 x 126 rad/s = 3681 W.
Power input to motor = (39 x 110) = 4290 W. So power loss is (4290 - 3681) = 609 W

Is this correct?

Name15 said:
But why would I find Torque and current at 100 rad/s and not 126 rad/s?
That's just an example, how the exercise could be continued.
Name15 said:
I find Torque = (0.749 Vs)x(39A) = 29.2 Nm. So using P=Tw; Power = 29.2 x 126 rad/s = 3681 W.
Power input to motor = (39 x 110) = 4290 W. So power loss is (4290 - 3681) = 609 W
Yes, that's correct.

What is a DC motor?

A DC motor is an electrical machine that converts direct current (DC) electrical energy into mechanical energy, typically in the form of rotational motion.

What are the components of a DC motor?

A DC motor typically consists of a stator (stationary part) and a rotor (rotating part). The stator includes permanent magnets or electromagnets, while the rotor has a coil of wire that interacts with the magnetic field to produce motion.

How is power calculated for a DC motor?

The power output of a DC motor is calculated by multiplying the torque (rotational force) produced by the motor with the rotational speed (measured in revolutions per minute or RPM) and dividing by a constant value of 9.55. The formula is P = (T * RPM)/9.55, where P is power in watts, T is torque in newton-meters, and RPM is rotational speed.

What factors affect the power output of a DC motor?

The power output of a DC motor is affected by various factors such as the voltage and current supplied to the motor, the design and efficiency of the motor, the load on the motor, and the speed at which the motor is operating.

How do you increase the power output of a DC motor?

The power output of a DC motor can be increased by increasing the voltage and current supplied to the motor, using a more efficient motor design, reducing the load on the motor, and increasing the speed at which the motor operates. However, it is important to note that exceeding the maximum power rating of a DC motor can cause damage to the motor.