De Broglie wavelength calculations

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct calculation and assumptions for finding the wavelength of an alpha particle traveling at 2x106m/s with a mass of 6.645x10-27 kg. It also touches on the lack of wave-like properties in larger bodies due to the smaller deBroglie wavelength in comparison to the size of the object.
rugapark
I had a go at 2 Q's and wanted to make sure I'm doing this right.
so here's the first one, and maybe if i went wrong with it I was going to redo the 2nd Q on my own.

[tex]\lambda = h/p = h/mv (\sqrt{1-((v^2)/(c^2))})[/tex]

so, an Alpha Particle traveling @ 2x106m/s (mass = 6.645x10-27 kg)

[tex]\lambda = [(6.626*10^-^3^4)/((6.645*10^-^2^7)*(2*10^6))][/tex] x [tex]{\sqrt{1-[(2*10^6)^2/(3*10^8)^2]}}[/tex]

= (4.986x10-14) x (99.998x10-2)

= 4.99x10-14m

how does this look?
and also, am i right in assuming if the question does not state otherwise, that the mass of an alpha particle is always 6.645x10-27kg?

Cheers guys
Ruga

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks right. A particle's mass would increase as the particle's speed approaches the speed of light, so the wavelength decreases.

The rest mass of the alpha particle is always in its inertial frame 3727 MeV or 6.645 x 10-27 kg. In classical mechanics, particle mass usually refers to rest mass.

brilliant - just another quicky, some of the answer guides ignored the whole square root part of the equation.. is that because that part of the equation is always roughly equal to 1?

At low speeds, e.g. v = 0.01 c, then (v/c)2 = 0.0001, and the square root of 1-(0.01)2 = 0.99995, so the relativistic effect is very small.

Alpha particles coming from alpha decay or in fusion reactions have kinetic energies on the order of several MeV, so there speeds are not relativistic.

I ended up discussing something with friends when we were going through this question - why is it that we don't see wave like properties in larger bodies i.e. in macroscopic levels? is it because the larger the mass, the smaller the de Broglie wavelength, and so the wave like properties are just too small to be detected?

rugapark said:
I ended up discussing something with friends when we were going through this question - why is it that we don't see wave like properties in larger bodies i.e. in macroscopic levels? is it because the larger the mass, the smaller the de Broglie wavelength, and so the wave like properties are just too small to be detected?
Compare the 'size' of an alpha particle (or atomic nucleus) with the deBroglie wavelength (in the OP), then compare the wavelength of a 1 kg metal sphere (density = 8 g/cm3) with the deBroglie wavelength for different speeds, e.g. 10 m/s and 1000 m/s.

What is the De Broglie wavelength?

The De Broglie wavelength is the wavelength associated with a particle, such as an electron, that is in motion. It is named after French physicist Louis de Broglie, who proposed that all particles exhibit wave-like properties.

How is the De Broglie wavelength calculated?

The De Broglie wavelength can be calculated using the following formula: λ = h/mv, where λ is the De Broglie wavelength, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the particle, and v is the velocity of the particle. This formula is based on the wave-particle duality principle, which states that particles can behave as both particles and waves.

What is the significance of the De Broglie wavelength?

The De Broglie wavelength is significant because it demonstrates that all particles, regardless of their size or mass, exhibit wave-like properties. This helped to further our understanding of quantum mechanics and the behavior of particles on a microscopic level.

What is the relationship between momentum and the De Broglie wavelength?

The De Broglie wavelength is inversely proportional to the momentum of a particle. This means that as the momentum of a particle increases, its De Broglie wavelength decreases. This relationship is known as the de Broglie relation and is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.

Can the De Broglie wavelength be observed in experiments?

Yes, the De Broglie wavelength has been observed in experiments using various particles, such as electrons and protons. One famous experiment that demonstrated the wave-like properties of particles is the double-slit experiment, where electrons were shown to exhibit interference patterns similar to waves.