Dealing with H2SO4 Burns: What to Know

• Medical
  • Thread starter ~christina~
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a series of sulfuric acid burns on the arms due to a spill in the lab. The person also worked with gold chloride solution and noticed a large stain and change in color on their finger. They are curious about the extent of the damage and if skin necrosis has occurred. It is recommended to see a physician for proper evaluation and treatment to avoid infection. The conversation also stresses the importance of proper safety measures when working with chemicals.
~christina~
Gold Member
I recently got a series of H2SO4 burns on my arms in the lab because I had dripped some of the acid on the table and it got on my arm. I was also working with some AuCl3 solution as well. In the end I felt my arm burning so I washed it off and kept working. One of the place that got burned, swelled a bit and turned white around the center. Another place on my arm that had gotten burned looked like it had a yellow stain. (Mandelin reagent => source of concent. H2SO4) I had gloves on and later after I left the lab I saw that my finger had turned purple. The next day my finger was black and so were the places which I had burned my arms initially.

I think the large stain on my finger is from the gold chloride leaking into the glove but I currently cannot feel anything on the spot that had turned black. (tried poking myself with a pin) I'm curious to know just how much I damaged my skin. Based on the colour I would say that my skin is nice and necrotic, correct? (as AgCl3 is caustic like AgNO3) I thought that only happened if one had a 2nd-3rd degree burn, based on what I was looking up on the internet. My finger looks fine except for the change in colour however I cannot feel much sensation in that spot...
I do assume skin necrosis can occur on only the top layer of skin but if I cannot feel anything it would imply I damaged something below the epidermis? And if your skin does turn black it would imply that the skin is dead and that it is not just a 1st degree burn, right? Is skin supposed to turn black after an acid burn?
(but the classification of burn type relies on depth degree damage not colour which confuses me further:confused:)

note: no blisters or etc. on any of the burns

Biology news on Phys.org
You really should see a physician. We cannot diagnose medical problems here.
Sulfuric acid burns heal slowly and infect easily.

You should have seen someone with first-aid experience immediately, chemical burns should be treated by holding the affected area under running water for at least 30 minutes. This prevents the chemicals from penetrating the skin more deeply. Unlike heat-burns, where the offending source is removed immediately, chemicals stay on your skin much longer.

The only person who can judge your burns, how minor you think they may be, is a medical doctor. Have them evaluated, this way you can prevent infection. Dead tissue is unable to mount an immune response, but it is a breeding ground for harmful bacteria.

Best wishes!

p.s. gloves are a first line of defense, but they are not impenetrable by chemicals! Always change gloves when you spill chemicals on them, because the chemicals will leach through.

Thread locked, because we do not provide diagnosis: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=173247

1. What is H2SO4?

H2SO4, also known as sulfuric acid, is a highly corrosive and strong mineral acid. It is commonly used in industrial processes and can cause severe burns when it comes into contact with the skin.

2. How do I know if I have a H2SO4 burn?

H2SO4 burns can range from mild irritation to severe burns. Symptoms may include redness, swelling, blistering, and pain in the affected area. In severe cases, the skin may appear white or charred. It is important to seek medical attention immediately if you suspect you have a H2SO4 burn.

3. What should I do if I get H2SO4 on my skin?

If you come into contact with H2SO4, immediately rinse the affected area with water for at least 15 minutes. Remove any contaminated clothing and continue to flush the area with water. Do not use any other substances on the burn, such as ointments or creams, as they may react with the acid and worsen the burn. Seek medical attention as soon as possible.

4. Can I treat H2SO4 burns at home?

Mild H2SO4 burns can be treated at home with first aid measures such as rinsing with water and applying a cool compress. However, it is important to seek medical attention for any burn caused by sulfuric acid as it can cause severe damage to the skin and underlying tissues.

5. How can I prevent H2SO4 burns?

The best way to prevent H2SO4 burns is to use proper safety precautions when handling the acid, such as wearing protective clothing, gloves, and eyewear. It is also important to be aware of potential hazards and have a plan in place for handling spills or accidents. Proper training and handling of H2SO4 can greatly reduce the risk of burns.