DEC with E/M and scalar fields

In summary: So basically, if it's an undergraduate problem, post it in the Homework & Coursework Questions forum. If it's a graduate problem, post it in the appropriate part of the main section, but you still have to show your work.
blendecho
Hi,

I'm trying to show that electromagnetism and scalar field theories satisfy the DEC. I know how to find [tex]T_{\mu\nu}[/tex] and all that and what I have to show ([tex]T_{\mu\nu} T^\nu_{\ \lambda} t^\mu t^\lambda\leq 0[/tex] and [tex]T_{\mu\nu} t^\mu t^\nu\geq 0[/tex] for timelike [tex]t^\mu[/tex]), but I'm having trouble getting started.

Thanks!

(Edit: Make that just the minimally coupled scalar field theory, [tex]T_{\mu\nu} = \nabla_\mu \phi \nabla_\nu \phi - \frac{1}{2}g_{\mu\nu}\nabla^\sigma \phi \nabla_\sigma \phi - g_{\mu\nu}V(\phi)[/tex] for some positive potential)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a homework problem, correct? (There is a special PF forum with special rules for these.)

It's a former homework problem, I wasn't satisfied with my solution.

So, what did you try in your attempt?

Chris Hillman said:
This is a homework problem, correct? (There is a special PF forum with special rules for these.)

That applies to undergraduate homework problems. Graduate homework problems can optionally be posted to the main forums. But it is still required to show one's work.

To quote the relevant section from the rules (I should add for people new to the forum that one can click on the link named "rules" to see the current PF rules)

On posting questions: Any and all high school and undergraduate homework assignments or textbook style exercises for which you are seeking assistance are to be posted in the appropriate forum in our Homework & Coursework Questions area.This should be done whether or not the problem is part of one's coursework. The reason for this is that the scientific and mathematical sections of Physics Forums are to be reserved for discussions and not academic assistance. Since graduate level assignments are meant to be more thought provoking (and hence more worthy of discussion), graduate level questions will be allowed in the relevant part of the main section of PF, provided that the graduate student attempts the problem and shows his work.

1. What is DEC with E/M and scalar fields?

DEC with E/M and scalar fields stands for Discrete Exterior Calculus with Electromagnetism and scalar fields. It is a mathematical framework used to model and analyze physical systems that involve electromagnetic fields and scalar fields.

2. How does DEC with E/M and scalar fields differ from other mathematical frameworks?

DEC with E/M and scalar fields combines concepts from discrete exterior calculus, which deals with discrete differential geometry, and electromagnetism, which describes the interactions between electric and magnetic fields. This allows for a more comprehensive and accurate representation of physical systems.

3. What are the applications of DEC with E/M and scalar fields?

DEC with E/M and scalar fields has various applications in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It can be used to model and simulate electromagnetic phenomena, such as light and electricity, as well as to analyze and design electromagnetic devices, such as antennas and circuits.

4. What are the advantages of using DEC with E/M and scalar fields?

One of the main advantages of DEC with E/M and scalar fields is its ability to handle complex physical systems with high accuracy and efficiency. It also provides a more intuitive and geometric approach to modeling and analyzing electromagnetic phenomena, allowing for a deeper understanding of the underlying principles.

5. Are there any limitations to DEC with E/M and scalar fields?

Like any mathematical framework, DEC with E/M and scalar fields has its limitations. It may not be suitable for all types of physical systems and may require a significant amount of computational resources for large-scale simulations. Additionally, it may have a steep learning curve for those unfamiliar with the underlying concepts of discrete exterior calculus and electromagnetism.