Decay formula with Improper Integrals

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding improper integrals and integration by parts. The given equation involves the constant k and the limit of e^(kt). The person seeking help initially tried to solve the problem by using integration by parts, but another person suggests leaving k as it is until the end. They also clarify the limit of e^(kt) and determine that the answer is simply -k.
lelandsthename

Homework Statement

Hey everyone! I have another question about improper integrals, they're so hard!

M = -k [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\stackrel{inf.}{0}[/tex] te^(kt) dt

When k = -0.000121 (Carbon 14's constant, we are solving for the mean life of a carbon-14 isotope)

Homework Equations

Improper integrals, integration by parts

The Attempt at a Solution

=- k lim[tex]_{t->inf.}[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex]te^(kt) dt from 0 to infinity

by parts:
u = t
du = dt
dv = e^(k) dt
v = (1/k)e^(-kt)

=(t((1/k)e^(kt)) + [tex]\int[/tex](1/k)e^(kt)dt

=((t)/(k))e^(-0.000121t) - (1/((k)^2)e^(kt)

=- k lim[tex]_{t->inf.}[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex](t)/(k)e^(kt) - (1/(k)^2)e^(kt)

Where can I go from here? I can put both terms over (k)^2 but the limit of that term times e^(k) equals 1*, right? So is hte answer just -k? Somehow I am skeptical!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi lelandsthename! :smile:

oooh … you've made this so complicated! :cry:

why not just leave k as k until the very end?
lelandsthename said:
… I can put both terms over (0.000121)^2 but the limit of that term times e^(-0.000121t) equals 0, right?

Nooo … e-∞ = 0, but e0 = 1. :smile:

haha! ok I will give it a try with k first, it'll even make it look neater! :smile: and thank you for helping me with the limit! So because the limit equals one then the answer will just be -k?

1. What is the decay formula with improper integrals?

The decay formula with improper integrals is a mathematical expression used to model the decay of a substance over time. It takes into account the initial amount of the substance, the rate of decay, and the time elapsed. The formula is typically written as A(t) = A0e-kt, where A(t) is the amount of the substance at time t, A0 is the initial amount, k is the decay constant, and e is the mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.71828.

2. How is the decay formula with improper integrals derived?

The decay formula with improper integrals is derived using calculus, specifically integration techniques. The integral of the rate of decay function, often denoted as r(t), gives the amount of the substance at any given time. This integral is then solved using the limits of integration, which can be 0 to t for a specific time interval, or 0 to ∞ for continuous decay. The final result is the decay formula with improper integrals.

3. What is the significance of improper integrals in the decay formula?

The use of improper integrals in the decay formula allows for modeling of continuous decay, where the substance is decaying at a constant rate over an infinite time interval. This is useful in many real-world scenarios, as many substances do not decay in discrete time intervals. Improper integrals also allow for the calculation of the total amount of the substance that has decayed over time.

4. Can the decay formula with improper integrals be applied to all types of decay?

The decay formula with improper integrals is primarily used for exponential decay, where the rate of decay is proportional to the amount of the substance. It can also be applied to other types of decay, such as logarithmic or polynomial decay, but the integral may be more complex to solve. In such cases, other mathematical methods may be used to model the decay.

5. How is the decay formula with improper integrals used in scientific research?

The decay formula with improper integrals is used in various fields of science, such as chemistry, physics, and biology, to model the decay of radioactive substances, unstable molecules, and biological processes. It allows scientists to predict the amount of a substance that will remain after a certain amount of time has passed and to understand the underlying mechanisms of decay. It is also used in environmental studies to track the decay of pollutants and toxins in the environment.