Understanding Decay Schemes: A Guide to Interpreting Energy Levels and Symbols

• Thread starter Mahavir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decay
In summary, the decay scheme shows the percentage of each energy level at which the disintegrated mother nucleus has reached after the disintegration has occurred. The other numbers and arrows show the spin and parity of the excited states, the percent of total gamma decay for that transition, and the energy of the gamma ray for that transition.
Mahavir
Apologies for this question, but I'm trying to understand what I'm looking at here and was unable to find an answer online.

GuTnG.png

From my understanding, this is a decay scheme that shows the percentage of each energy level at which the disintegrated mother nucleus has reached after the disintegration has occurred. But what do the other numbers and arrows show?

Where I'm stuck is the symbols and numbers. I've tried to look in my textbook as well to no avail.

I would really appreciate your help.

Many thanks!

Attachments

• GuTnG.png
    GuTnG.png
    17 KB · Views: 1,030
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The half-integer values on the left with the signs are spin and parity. At the right side you have the energies (in keV) and lifetimes of the excited states.
The arrows are possible follow-up decays of xenon. Their labels: Not sure what the first number is. Partial decay width would be reasonable but doesn't fit well. The second number is the energy difference, the third one tells you which type of decay it is.

Likes Mahavir
Starting from left to right..The percentage under the I131 are the percentage of the beta decays that lead to the various energy levels of the daughter . The next number is the Log of the comparative half lives for the decays to the various levels. The comparative half live is proportional to the decay constant for that transition. The next number with the +/- signs are the spin and parity of the Xe131 states. The numbers above the energy levels in Xe131 are the percent of total gamma decay for that transition, the next above is the energy of the gamma ray for that transition, and the M1, E2, M4 refer to the type of electromagnetic transitions, magnetic dipole, electric quadrapole and magenetic octopole respectively. The numbers to the right of the Xe131 energy levels are the energies and half lives of those states. The Qβ- is he Q-value of the decay, the excess energy of the decay available to the beta particles as kinetic energy.

Edit: The M4 term should have been hexadecapole not octopole.

Last edited:
Likes Mahavir
gleem said:
Starting from left to right..The percentage under the I131 are the percentage of the beta decays that lead to the various energy levels of the daughter . The next number is the Log of the comparative half lives for the decays to the various levels. The comparative half live is proportional to the decay constant for that transition. The next number with the +/- signs are the spin and parity of the Xe131 states. The numbers above the energy levels in Xe131 are the percent of total gamma decay for that transition, the next above is the energy of the gamma ray for that transition, and the M1, E2, M4 refer to the type of electromagnetic transitions, magnetic dipole, electric quadrapole and magenetic octopole respectively. The numbers to the right of the Xe131 energy levels are the energies and half lives of those states. The Qβ- is he Q-value of the decay, the excess energy of the decay available to the beta particles as kinetic energy.

Edit: The M4 term should have been hexadecapole not octopole.
mfb said:
The half-integer values on the left with the signs are spin and parity. At the right side you have the energies (in keV) and lifetimes of the excited states.
The arrows are possible follow-up decays of xenon. Their labels: Not sure what the first number is. Partial decay width would be reasonable but doesn't fit well. The second number is the energy difference, the third one tells you which type of decay it is.

Thank you both ever so much! It makes a great deal more sense.

1. What is a decay scheme?

A decay scheme is a graphical representation of the radioactive decay process of a particular element or isotope. It shows the sequence of decay steps, including the types of decay and the resulting daughter products.

2. How do I read a decay scheme?

The vertical axis of a decay scheme represents the energy or activity of the decaying nucleus, while the horizontal axis shows the atomic mass number. The arrows connecting the parent and daughter products indicate the type of decay, such as alpha, beta, or gamma decay. The final product of the decay process is represented at the bottom of the scheme.

3. Why is a decay scheme useful?

A decay scheme is useful for understanding the decay process of a particular element or isotope, as well as predicting the type and amount of radiation that will be emitted. It is also used in nuclear physics research and in the development of nuclear technologies.

4. How can I use a decay scheme to calculate half-life?

The half-life of a radioactive element or isotope can be calculated by measuring the time it takes for half of the parent product to decay into the daughter product. This can be done by counting the number of decays over a period of time and using the decay constant, which is represented by the slope of the decay curve on a decay scheme.

5. Are there different types of decay schemes?

Yes, there are different types of decay schemes depending on the type of decay being represented. Some common types include alpha decay, beta decay, gamma decay, and electron capture. Each type of decay has a unique decay scheme that can be used to understand the specific decay process.