What is the best IDE for C programming?

• Thread starter Bipolarity
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is new to C and has been searching for a good IDE to use. They have experience with Python and Java and have been using Notepad++, Quincy, and C-Free, but are looking for an IDE that has a good source code editor, decent compiler, and other features such as line numbers and keyword highlights. Some suggestions for IDEs include Microsoft Visual C++ Express, Visual Studio (though it is not free), Netbeans, Qwined, Code::Blocks, and Bloodshed Dev-c++. The speaker also mentions using a programming text editor and a terminal for debugging purposes.
Bipolarity
I'm fairly new to C. Learning it for my school, but my fluency is mainly in Python and Java.

For Python the standard IDLE (Python GUI) works fine and Eclipse does the job for me in Java. I've been trying to find a good IDE for C.

So far I found the following:
Notepad++ : Very good editing abilities, tabs, line-numbers, highlighting etc.
Quincy: Compiler included, fair editing
C-Free: Compiler included, fair editing

To those who have experience with several environments for C, what is the best one to use for C? I am looking for one that has a very convenient source code editor, decent compiler that does not crash the actual shell window during a stack overflow or runtime exception (and gives you a chance to evaluate the problem) and hopefully shows line numbers and highlights keywords.

It's ok if no such program exists, but if it does exist and someone here knows about it, do let me know! Thanks!

BiP

Technology news on Phys.org
If you're running with windows, microsoft visual C++ express is free, and it has a good source level debugger.

Visual Studio is as good as it gets --- all you could want and more. Two drawbacks though. It's not free (cheap for students though) and it's Microsoft proprietary.

phinds said:
Visual Studio is as good as it gets --- all you could want and more. Two drawbacks though. It's not free (cheap for students though) and it's Microsoft proprietary.
The "express" versions are free, and the full version (multiple languages) for students are cheap.

I use a programming text editor (Sublime Text is nice) and a (persistent) terminal. I do this, because I like to have access to a terminal for other, related things, like running my program with different input parameters, running gdb and valgrind for debugging, redirecting program output to a file, or /dev/null, and easy access to man(ual) pages for C functions.

When I programmed for Windows platforms I naturally used MS VS for C/C++ when working with the MS compiler suite.

But for working with other C/C++-compilers (or other languages) I arrived at
Qwined
You may like that if you like notepad++, esp if you do not fear the need for (moderate) customization tasks.

Regards, S.

You could try Code::Blocks which is a C/C++ ide (with mingw of course). If you can setup your toolchain however then you can customize whatever compiler and debugger you want. The default is gcc/g++ with gdb debugger. Those are very advanced open source tools and I've used them for years. Plus there is a lot of legacy help on forums on the internet in terms of errors so you can just copy and paste your error into google seach and find what you need since everyone at one time has made the same mistake.

Last edited:
Bloodshed Dev-c++ is portable and once setup, you have all the libraries and the compiler in one folder. It weigh in at around 400mb. I like this tool since I can put it on a usb key and play around with programming c/c++ on whatever PC I use.

I did study straight C with VS(it's fun to use, new 2012 version is bloated) and c++ with eclipse (hated it, bloated bugware). Sublime does have a great interface and a portable version, but some of it's feature will be confusing if you're just starting out with programming. Dev-CPP! try it...

1. What is an IDE for C and why do I need one?

An IDE, or Integrated Development Environment, is a software application that provides comprehensive tools for writing, testing, and debugging code. It is specifically designed for a particular programming language, such as C, and helps to streamline the development process. Using an IDE can save time and increase productivity for developers.

2. What features should I look for in a good IDE for C?

Some important features to look for in a decent IDE for C include a code editor with syntax highlighting, code completion, and debugging tools. It should also have a built-in compiler and support for version control systems. Additionally, a user-friendly interface and customizable options can greatly enhance the overall experience.

3. Is there a free option for a decent IDE for C?

Yes, there are many free and open-source IDEs available for C, such as Code::Blocks, Eclipse, and NetBeans. These IDEs offer a variety of features and can be a great choice for beginner and intermediate developers. However, for more advanced features and support, paid IDEs like Visual Studio and CLion may be worth considering.

4. Can I use an IDE for C on different operating systems?

Yes, most IDEs for C are designed to be cross-platform and can be used on different operating systems, such as Windows, Mac, and Linux. This allows developers to work on their projects seamlessly, regardless of the operating system they are using.

5. How do I choose the best IDE for my needs?

The best way to choose an IDE for C is to try out different options and see which one fits your needs and preferences. Consider your budget, the features you require, and the level of support and community for the IDE. Reading reviews and seeking recommendations from fellow developers can also help in making an informed decision.