1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deceptive uniform convergence question

1. Mar 31, 2013 #1

Zondrina

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://gyazo.com/55eaace8994d246974ef750ebeb36069

2. Relevant equations

Theorem III :
    http://gyazo.com/af2dfeb33d3382430d39f275268c15b1

3. The attempt at a solution

At first this question had me jumping to a wrong conclusion.

Upon closer inspection I see the sequence converges to 1 as n goes to infinity for |x|<1. The sequence converges to 0 as n goes to infinity for |x|≥1. Hence the sequence is not uniformly convergent over the whole real line.

If we restrict the domain of x to (-1,1) or (-∞,-1] U [1,∞), then we can observe uniform convergence over each interval respectively.

The question isn't too clear about what it's asking for, but that's my take.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you are supposed to conclude that given the theorem, if the ##f_n## are continuous and the limit function is not continuous, then the convergence can't be uniform. And I don't think they converge uniformly on (-1,1) either or any of the other intervals you are talking about. If you think they do please let me know why.

4. Apr 1, 2013 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

I see, I think i understand how the theorem and the question relate. I never did check the convergence on the intervals though so I suppose I shouldn't have assumed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted