Deciphering the Christoffel Symbol and Potential in Shutz's Relativity Book"

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter alejandrito29
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Relativity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 1K views
alejandrito29
Messages
148
Reaction score
0
Hello,

i have learning the boock of Shutz , and i not understand why the Christoffel symbol for the potential
[tex]\phi[/tex] with [tex]|\phi |<<1[/tex] .

[tex]\Gamma^0_{00}= \frac{\phi,_0}{1+2\phi}[/tex] is written as

[tex]\Gamma^0_{00}= \phi,_0 + 0( \phi^2)[/tex]

I don't see the quadratic term [tex]0( \phi^2)[/tex] . I tried with Taylor, but i don't understand
 
Physics news on Phys.org
alejandrito29 said:
Hello,

i have learning the boock of Shutz , and i not understand why the Christoffel symbol for the potential
[tex]\phi[/tex] with [tex]|\phi |<<1[/tex] .

[tex]\Gamma^0_{00}= \frac{\phi,_0}{1+2\phi}[/tex] is written as

[tex]\Gamma^0_{00}= \phi,_0 + 0( \phi^2)[/tex]

I don't see the quadratic term [tex]0( \phi^2)[/tex] . I tried with Taylor, but i don't understand

Which edition of Schutz do you have, the first or second? What page is it on?
 
Popper said:
Which edition of Schutz do you have, the first or second? What page is it on?

pg 186, equation 7.13

i know the firtz edition
 
##\frac{\partial _{t}\phi}{1 + 2\phi}\simeq \partial _{t}\phi(1 - 2\phi) = \partial _{t}\phi - \partial _{t}(\phi^{2})##. ##|\phi| << 1## and ##\phi## varies smoothly so the derivatives of the second order terms should also be negligible.