Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contraction of the Riemann Tensor with the Weak Field Metric

1. Sep 20, 2011 #1
    I have started with the space-time metric in a weak gravitational field (with the assumption of low velocity):
    [tex] ds^2=-(1+2\phi)dt^2+(1-2\phi)(dx^2+dy^2+dz^2)[/tex]
    Where [tex]\phi<<1[/tex] is the gravitational potential. Using the standard form for the Christoffel symbols have found:
    [tex] \Gamma^0_{00}=\phi_{,0}, \Gamma^0_{0i}=\Gamma^0_{i0}=\phi_{,i}, \Gamma^0_{ij}=\delta_{ij}\phi_{,0}[/tex]
    [tex] \Gamma^i_{00}=\phi^{,i}, \Gamma^i_{0j}=\Gamma^i_{j0}=-\delta^i_j\phi_{,0}, \Gamma^i_{jk}=\delta_{jk}\phi^{,i}-\delta^i_j\phi_{,k}-\delta^i_k\phi_{,j} [/tex]
    Then combining derivatives of these to first order (ignoring products of Christoffel symbols) using:
    [tex] R^\alpha_{\beta\mu\nu}=\Gamma^\alpha_{\beta\nu,\mu} - \Gamma^\alpha_{\beta\mu,\nu} [/tex]
    to get:
    [tex] R^0_{i0j}=\delta_{ij}\phi_{00}-\phi_{ij}, R^i_{0j0}=\phi^{,i}_{,j}+\delta^i_j\phi_{,00} [/tex]
    [tex] R^i_{0jk}=-\delta^i_k\phi_{,0j}+\delta^i_j\phi_{0k}, R^i_{kj0}=\delta^i_j\phi_{0k} - \delta_{jk}\phi^{,i}_{,0} [/tex]
    [tex] R^i_{kjl}=-\delta^i_l\phi_{,jk}+\delta_{kl}\phi^{,i}_{,j}+ {\delta^i_j}\phi_{,kl}-\delta_{jk}\phi^{,i}_{,l} [/tex]
    (Where greek indices run from 0 to 3 and latin indices run from 1 to 3, and commas denote coordinate partial differentiation). And here is where I run into problems.. When I try to use [tex] R_{\alpha\beta}=R^\sigma_{\alpha\sigma\beta} [/tex] to contract these down to find the Ricci tensor. For example I get:
    [tex] R_{00}=R^\sigma_{0\sigma 0}=\phi^{,i}_{,i}+\phi_{,00} [/tex]
    Which doesn't agree with the text I'm using which gives [tex] R_{00}=\nabla^2\phi +3\phi_{,00} [/tex]
    Can anybody spot where I'm going wrong? Many Thanks for any help.
    Jack M

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2011 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Ri0j0,ijijϕ,00

When you contract this, don't forget that δii = 3.

4. Sep 20, 2011 #3
    Ok so that takes care of the factor 3, then how does [tex] \phi^{,i}_{,i} [/tex] correspond to [tex] \nabla^2\phi [/tex]? Cheers for the help

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  5. Sep 22, 2011 #4
    Because they are the same. I would assume that $\phi$ is a scalar (from what you showed) - then partial derivative is the same as the full derivative. And what you just wrote are exactly the same - just different way of expressing it. Hope it helps

6. Sep 22, 2011 #5

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

You have [itex]\partial ^{i}\partial _{i}\phi = \delta ^{ij}\partial _{j}\partial _{i}\phi[/itex] and this, in background flat 3 - space with a Cartesian chart is [itex] \delta ^{xx}\partial ^{2}_{x}\phi + \delta ^{yy}\partial ^{2}_{y}\phi + \delta ^{zz}\partial^{2} _{z}\phi = \partial ^{2}_{x}\phi + \partial ^{2}_{y}\phi + \partial^{2} _{z}\phi = \triangledown ^{2}\phi [/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook