Deduce the solution from weight function

In summary, you can solve a first order system with constant coefficients by distributing the terms and simplifying the equation.
jwxie

Homework Statement

Convolution-Summation of a First Order System with Constant Coefficients

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14655573/1.PNG

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution from the lecture
[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14655573/2.PNG

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14655573/3.PNG

What I don't understand is how do we get 4/3 and the minus sign in the solution.

I know I can separate the summation into i = 0 to 0, and i = 1 to k. Thus, the first summation would be 1/3.
Then how did we get that 4/3? Did we just add the 1? Where did that 1 come from? From b_0 ?

How did we get the minus sign in front of the second term in the solution? Was it because we have -1/3 u(k-1) in the original equation?

Can anyone please help me with this? Thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have given

[tex]w_0 = 1,\ w_i = \left(\frac 1 6\right)\left(\frac 1 2\right)^{i-1}[/tex]

So

[tex]\sum_{i=0}^{k}w_i = 1 + \sum_{i=1}^{k}w_i = 1 + \left(\frac 1 6\right)
\sum_{i=1}^{k}\left(\frac 1 2\right)^{i-1}[/tex]

But

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{k}\left(\frac 1 2\right)^{i-1} = 2 - \left(\frac 1 2\right)^{k-1}[/tex]

Put that in for the last sum and simplify it.

hi. i see that since w(0) is 1, then the summation of w(i) when i = 0, we would have 1
that's clear
the 2,... it's the summation of gemoetric series given by (1 - a^(k+1))/ 1-a, am i correct?
i get
(1 - (1/2)^k) / 1-(1/2)
which gives 2* (1- (1/2)^k)
did i do something wrong? when i distribute it the k-power term also gets the 2...

jwxie said:
hi. i see that since w(0) is 1, then the summation of w(i) when i = 0, we would have 1
that's clear
the 2,... it's the summation of gemoetric series given by (1 - a^(k+1))/ 1-a, am i correct?
i get
(1 - (1/2)^k) / 1-(1/2)
which gives 2* (1- (1/2)^k)
did i do something wrong? when i distribute it the k-power term also gets the 2...

So you distribute the 2 and you get 2 - (1/2)(k-1) just like I said.

I thought the (1/2)^(k-1) also gets the 2 after the distribution since the top is being divided by the the 1-(1/2)

[itex](1-\frac{1}{2}^{k-1})*2[/itex]

-- edited
okay. i think we are both right.
i think u missed the 2 in the previous post
and doing the simplification
1+ (1/6) * (2) * [1 - (1/2)^(k-1) ] would give the result

thanks.

1. What is a weight function?

A weight function is a mathematical function that assigns a weight or importance to each element in a set. It is used to determine the relative significance of each element in a given system.

2. How does a weight function help in deducing the solution?

A weight function helps in deducing the solution by providing a quantitative measure of the importance of each element in the system. This allows for a more precise and systematic approach to finding the solution.

3. Can a weight function be applied to any problem?

Yes, a weight function can be applied to any problem that involves a set of elements and their relative significance. It is a versatile tool that is commonly used in various fields of science and engineering.

4. What are the advantages of using a weight function in problem-solving?

Using a weight function in problem-solving allows for a more structured and objective approach, as it takes into account the relative importance of each element. This can lead to more efficient and accurate solutions.

5. Are there any limitations to using a weight function?

One limitation of using a weight function is that it relies on the subjective determination of the weight or importance of each element. It is also important to choose the appropriate weight function for a specific problem, as using an incorrect one can lead to inaccurate solutions.